Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

some accumulated mechanical questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some accumulated mechanical questions

1. What are the symptoms that a power steering rack needs a rebuilt? Is it only the fact that it's leaking?

2. Fuel pump knocking on start up and small knocking in 2nd gear, 2500rpm (pressing on the fuel pedal really slowly)... do I need to change it?

3. Power steering pump: I see lots of different prices... is there a difference?
http://www.autopartsway.com/PartList..._STEERING_PUMP
Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
1. What are the symptoms that a power steering rack needs a rebuilt? Is it only the fact that it's leaking?
Generally, yes, just that it's leaking. However, the rack in my first 944 required a rebuild and it was not leaking.. But, as far as I know, that was an isolated incident. I've never heard of anything like it before...

what happened; one of the cir-clips that holds the wiper-bushings in place broke and allowed the wiper bushing to bind. That was awesome, the steering would go from normal to "manual steering on a semi-truck" instantaneously, without warning, and often in the middle of a turn. But no leaks..

as I said, I've never heard of anything like that before, so the typical symptoms requiring a rack rebuild are leaks. Especially at the boots.

2. Fuel pump knocking on start up and small knocking in 2nd gear, 2500rpm (pressing on the fuel pedal really slowly)... do I need to change it?
Replace the filter first if you suspect a fuel delivery issue... it's cheap, relatively easy DIY job, and usually the culprit. That said, I can't be sure that the issue you've described is fuel related, but it's definitely worth a shot.

3. Power steering pump: I see lots of different prices... is there a difference?
http://www.autopartsway.com/PartList..._STEERING_PUMP
It's a pretty common ZF power steering pump, but before you buy a new one, look into resealing it. The Rennbay kit is very inexpensive and the job is super easy... my girlfriend did it for me with the instructions from Rennbay, and it went smoothly (I watched her just to be sure, but she didn't need me).

hope all that helps.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM
kinglenario
Racer

you sir... have an awesome girlfriend.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kinglenario
you sir... have an awesome girlfriend.
yes, yes I do. What's even better is, I had planned all week to reseal the pump that weekend, but I hadn't planned on the excessive drinking that happened the night before, so the whole reason she did it was because I was too hung over to do it myself!

Quick Reply: some accumulated mechanical questions