Removed Airbag steering wheel - horn contact problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 06:41 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Post Removed Airbag steering wheel - horn contact problem

Hi guys,

I've recently moved over from the air cooled side ('83 SC, '85 Carrera & '90 C2). I've picked up a '87 black on black 951 with 45k for $10k. The car is exceptional and has gone from garage queen status (9k in 10 years?!) to daily driver. Its a different experience than a 911, more contemporary (a better daily driver) but too soft for my taste however, I'm working on that aspect. Anyway, I removed my Momo Club 3 steering wheel from my C2 (also airbagged) and have plugged it on the 951. Unlike the C2 it lacks a provision for the horn contact once the airbag capictor is removed. On the C2 I simply transfered the contact spring/plug to a matching hourglass shaped hole in the switchplate (the switchplate was shared with non-air bagged '89 C4s). On my 951 no similar hole for the contact can be found. Do I need to purchase a non airbag 85.5 switchplatew/w-washer & cruise control? Any input would be appreciated

Cheers,
Old 10-01-2002, 06:52 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
<a href="http://members.rennlist.com/drive944/wheel-inst.html" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.com/drive944/wheel-inst.html</a>

saw this last night, Hope it answers some questions

Jason
Old 10-02-2002, 05:04 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
I have a fairly detailed write-up regarding removal of the airbag wheel in the How-To section on my website... but as you have found the '87 cars apparently do not contain the hourglass-shaped hole. Based on my son's '89 and my '90 and the fact that I know of another '88 951S that did NOT have the special hole... I would say only the '89 and on cars came that way.

I would try and purchase a used multfunction switch from an '89 or newer car and use that. It fits a lot better than the '85.5 type, which I also tried. Essentially, all you have to do is replace the rotary airbag contact with the little plug-in contact from the non airbag setup and you are set.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:22 AM
TurboTime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've heard others say on this board, "why would you trust a 13+ year old airbag anyway?"

I guess they have a point, but I still have mine installed.

TurboTime
Old 10-03-2002, 07:48 PM
morefun
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the feed back! I'm looking for the updated '89+ control unit at several dismantlers.

Airbags have their place, but as a lifelong belt/harness user I don't value them to the extent that I'm willing to contort my large frame every time I want to get in or out of the car. The smaller steering wheel made a huge difference in ease of access. Hey, different strokes right.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 10-03-2002, 10:17 PM
Pat Kennedy
Instructor

Thumbs up

Jason952: Thanks for copying that post for us about the MOMO Competition steering wheel install. I've been driving my Turbo S for over 3 years with no horn. This could be the impetus for my successful repair. In lieu of a horn, I have either mumbled or shouted obcenities at offensive motorists. Along with the one-legged peace sign.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:42 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Let me know what works Patrick, I would really like to put the MOMO Champion in the car, but it's a turbo S and I didn't previously know about the 89 thing that tom mentioned.

Jason
Old 10-04-2002, 10:06 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

I too have resorted to giving the international symbol for "I'm number one and you're not" lately as i can't get my horn working... thx for that link, maybe it'll let me trace the root of my problem (right now i don't know if it lies in the horn button, wiring, or what... about the only thing i'm sure ISN'T bad is the relay, since that one interchanges w/ the ignition etc)

Quick Reply: Removed Airbag steering wheel - horn contact problem