Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

K27 Adapter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 11:38 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Post K27 Adapter Question

I currently have a K27 turbo going onto my 951. The inlet on the compressor is larger on the K27 than on the stock K26 and as such the factory boot (shaped roughly like a J) will not fit anymore. The factory boot has lines and holes on it for things like the blow off valve, charcoal cannister, etc. I can have the stock piece hacked up and made to work but I was wondering if there was a more elegant solution. Does anyone know where to find an already modified piece that could be purchased and FEDex'd right away? I'm calling Autothoriy tomorrow to see what they say. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 07-18-2002, 12:21 AM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best solution would be to remove compressor cover, have machine shop shorten intake, thread remaining cover for adapter that went to 2 inches.
I would recommend cutting groove for hose clamp with radius on front just as k26 cover has. My machinest quoted 75.00 for the job on mine. I am process of doing same thing. It will be a month or so, but can update you. Previously I cut the boot and used crude adapter that looked like it came from muffer shop! I have no doubt it was source of intake leak! The only down sides to this process are 1) you permanently alter compressor cover. ( Not a big deal as you could always get a new compressor cover later) 2) This may have the effect of a restrictor. If you are using the factory air boot/box you already have a restrictor, so nothing lost. You have to mill the k27 compressor inlet otherwise with the adapter, the overall inlet/adapter combination will be too long for factory air boot to fit and mate up with airbox.

Good luck,
James
Old 07-18-2002, 08:31 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay - inside trick. Use the elbow hose from a normally aspirated car. It only has two ports, but with a couple of tees, it's easy. You will still have to play with silicon hose a bit, but you won't have such a radical reduction.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Get a MAF with the inlet for a K27. That's what I did. Well.. and for the cold air from the fender.

You know you want to anyway.
Old 07-19-2002, 02:03 AM
Turbo Fanatic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going through factory air box/snorkel, the reduction from 2.75 to 2.0 would the least of your restrictions. The more non-factory and t connections you adapt the greater the maintaince/risk of vacuum leaks. Vacuum leaks are death to the performance of this car. Just my 2 cents. Now the mass flow is one way, but don't go autothority mass flow steel j-pipe unless you want crude muffler shop product. autothority was designed with k26 inlet in mind, and Powerhaus and others just use expander on the steel to make it 2.75 inches. VERY CRUDE workmanship IMHO.
Anybody want a autothority mass flow with K27 chips for sale very reasonable

Other mass flows have much better quality Jpipe.

Better solution than mass flow seems to MAP setup.
I am sure that Danno will produce high quality Jpipe and there will be zero restrictions in the airflow.

However sticking the orginal question (and that stipulated using factory airbox), don't use hoses, adapters, or you will forever end up fooling with it. I have messed with this Authority/k27 combination since 97. I also have seen so many buy 951, modify it, later regret the loss in reliability and sell later. THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY REMAINS LONG AFTER THE LOW PRICE HAS FADED AWAY!

Again just my jaded experience over time.
It is not my intention to offend Special Tool and
his suggestion which is certainly better than muffler pipe adapter or butchered Jpipe.

James

Quick Reply: K27 Adapter Question