Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New hi perf PLASTIC comp wheel for a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:50 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New hi perf PLASTIC comp wheel for a turbo

Just came accross a company that we do business with. They are a plastic molding company called Enplas. They have just made a plastic (poly imide) compressor wheel for a turbo (for Nissan). The wheel is much lighter than Aluminum and can take upto 400 C (I think thats what they said). Anyway, they had a curve with acceleration plotted over time. And the plastic wheel was radically faster then the aluminum. Looked interesting. I am not sure what other modifications as far as heat management is required in the turbo, but this thing is state of the art plastic molding. I do not think it is available commercially. I however do have one unit on my desk that I am staring at, but I have to give it back in the next hour or two. Bummer, maybe I could put it in a busted turbo ;-). Just thought you guys would be interested in what is up on the tech horizon. I will try to get more info.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:15 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

What Turbo does Nissan have coming out? Or is it for a Japanese market car.

I just realized that the Skyline will be here next year it is a Turbo. Is that what they are going to use it for.

I wonder if a lighter impeller means more lag because there is less intertia in the turbine.

Any thoughts

Danno?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:38 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

In his post Fiftyone states that it's a compressor wheel and it's good for 450 degrees, so I doubt that it's destined for the turbine side.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:52 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

Not sure what model this will be on, but I think it will be showing up real soon. Yes, I think only the comp wheel is plastic. I asked the guy who showed it to me and he said it was 3 times faster acceleration, and in the turbo they tested on, lag was almost completely eradicated. Apprently, the system they tested on started boosting at 2700rpm with the standard wheel, but the plastic wheel started boosting at 1500rpm, yes 1500 rpm. I am not sure what turbo size it was, but the engine was rated at 280 hp stock. Pretty awesome sutff. Maybe one day these materials will be available aftermarket.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:02 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds excellent. Can you find out its resistance to rapid temp. changes - can I shoot water at it?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm, interesting. What kind of plastic is it?

Toyota has used composite ceramic compressor wheels for years. But they were prone to cracking & shattering when there was a compressor bypass-valve malfunction. This allows excessive pressure to build up before the compressor when the throttle was slammed shut.

I think the ultimate turbo would have ceramic-coated housings. Along with an Inconel turbine wheel, plastic/composite compressor wheel and a beryllium axle running on mag-lev bearings! Why, you might even get more power out of it than you put in!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:49 AM
Turby
Banned

you have my attention too..........MORE INFO PLEASE!!!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:12 PM
FityOne
Rennlist Member

Material used for the comp wheel is Poly imide. Its a strong high temp plastic, pretty amazing stuff really. I have worked with it before, though I think it is a special grade of imide. A common use of poly imide is Kapton film. Its that honey brown flexible film used in electronics. Anyway, it seems at all of Nissan's future turbos will have plastic comp wheels. I was told that heat is managed very well in their turbo system, which is a requirement when using such components. Also the cost of such parts is greatly reduced since molding is much faster and economical.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Is it unreinforced or reinforced with either graphite, glass, or other?
Old 07-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by special tool:
<strong>Sounds excellent. Can you find out its resistance to rapid temp. changes - can I shoot water at it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you are asking this because you want to run water injection, I doubt ambient temp water will do much to cool ambient temp air. You want to inject the water after the intercooler for it to do any good.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:12 AM
Turby
Banned

anyone ever hear of ceramic turbine wheels???
Old 07-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a Beryllium turbine wheel...... now that's some stuff there . I hear if you inhale the dust, you have a 60% chance of developing lung cancer in the next 5 years

Quick Reply: New hi perf PLASTIC comp wheel for a turbo