Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

BOV needed for high hp applications

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BOV needed for high hp applications

About the Adjustable BOV from stratmosphere, I took a look at the site, they are nice units. Will it work with a bigger turbo and more hp? I'm getting my Vitesse stage 2 kit and I was wondering what BOV I would need. Will I need one that vents into the atmosphere or can I still use an aftermarket unit that works like the stock unit? Thanks guys.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Pannan
Instructor

It´s always best to have a BOV that don´t went in the atmosphere. I went for a open one but now in afterhand i should have bought a closed one.

Check out the HKS SSQL BOV. This one and the Greddy may be the best on the market.

I Bought the Turbo XS open BOV, but that is just for the sound.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:37 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
The one that vents to atmosphere will cause problem on a closed system

Get the one that works similar to stock.

Unless your stock BOV is bad, there is no need to replace it. I still run the stock one on my car.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:42 AM
Pannan
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by fast951:
<strong>The one that vents to atmosphere will cause problem on a closed system

Get the one that works similar to stock.

Unless your stock BOV is bad, there is no need to replace it. I still run the stock one on my car.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Correct,

If You don´t have a Map kit or stand alone system You have to go with a closed one as long if you have a catalytic converter.

The stock one can´t handle high boost and horsepower. There is cheaper alternatives to for example the Forge BOV. They works great.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use two of them. people use the 993 units but forget that they are only meant for 200hp worth of air. ( 993 uses two of them ). I like my forge, it's simple.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
coolhand
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Pannan:
<strong>It´s always best to have a BOV that don´t went in the atmosphere. I went for a open one but now in afterhand i should have bought a closed one.

Check out the HKS SSQL BOV. This one and the Greddy may be the best on the market.

I Bought the Turbo XS open BOV, but that is just for the sound.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Doesn't the HKS SSQ vent to the atmosphere?
Old 07-04-2003, 04:01 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

I run a turbo xs bypass, Same unit lindsey sells but they modify it a little..works great.
Old 07-04-2003, 09:57 PM
coolhand
Racer

Does anyone know if the HKS SSQ will fit under our hoods without major modification? i found a part on ebay that lets it vent back into the intake by replacing the little fins with a pipe.
Old 07-05-2003, 05:11 AM
Pannan
Instructor

Hi,

The SSQ can be ordered with a closed application to.

It will fit under the hood but You need to attach the adapter to the BOV on the IC hard pipe. It will not take any silicone hose.

The best thing is to manufacture a new IC pipe (not expensive) and to attach the fitment to the BOV on this one.

Regards
J
Old 07-05-2003, 06:27 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
the hks ssq can go both ways so thats the way im going,i see alot of good used ones on ebay with the adapter and hoses.there are also recric fittings you can buy off of ebay so you can push the air back into the intake,the only problem about me buying the hks bov is that its from tokyo......hope this helps....wayne
Old 07-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Hey, Thanks for the replies guys. Since I am going to be getting a MAP with the kit, I don't know. I think I'm going to go with the HKS SSQ. I would like to have one that doesn't vent into the atmosphere so it will reduce lag. Is there REALLY a noticeable difference in lag between a BOV that vents into the atm, or one that vents back into the system? Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2003, 10:41 PM
coolhand
Racer

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Pannan:
<strong>Hi,

It will fit under the hood but You need to attach the adapter to the BOV on the IC hard pipe. It will not take any silicone hose.

The best thing is to manufacture a new IC pipe (not expensive) and to attach the fitment to the BOV on this one.

Regards
J</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Would putting the BOV on a different pipe change the performance or function of the valve at all? Also how would you manufacture a new IC pipe? just modify your old one, or make a completely new one?
Old 07-05-2003, 11:52 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

i've got the stratmosphere, i think it's working great i my relatively high hp application
Old 07-06-2003, 08:46 AM
Pannan
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by coolhand:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Pannan:
<strong>Hi,

Regards
J</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Would putting the BOV on a different pipe change the performance or function of the valve at all? Also how would you manufacture a new IC pipe? just modify your old one, or make a completely new one?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">The pipe I had made is a copy of the original pipe but in 2.5" just like the pipes Lindsey and Speedforce sells. I can post up pictures later, the pipes is superb made. As long as you stay in the 2.5" if you go bigger the turbolag will not meet your satisfaction due to all the air that have to be pulle thru the pipes.

A Swedish exhaust company made my pipes and they are one of the best producers of exhaust system and this sort of applications in Sweden. Why go with original when you can have a polished good looking piece under the hood?

Pictures will come soon on my website.

Regards
Johan
Old 07-06-2003, 12:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"use two of them. people use the 993 units but forget that they are only meant for 200hp worth of air."

How do you use two of them?? Is it really neccasary to run two?

Are BOV based on hp or amount of boost??

i.e .Could be running 200hp with 20 psi or 400 hp with 10psi Which is the determining factor, hp or boost???

Quick Reply: BOV needed for high hp applications