Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tension on Cam and timing belts

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 01:17 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Tension on Cam and timing belts

Has anyone installed the cam belt and tensioners and not had the Porsche Special tool 9XXX (that measures belt tension)? What is the best way to determine the proper tension on the belt with out a measurement tool? Is there one available for a reasonable price?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-27-2002, 03:59 PM
Florida951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm I've mentioned this after i did my belts. I did not use the tool, I just felt tention by hand, had my friend who is a mechanic give me a second hand check. When it was back together it was whining, sign that it is too tight so we loosened it. If it is too loose you will hear it rattle as it slaps the belt cover when you rev it, however too loose and you will skip teeth and bend valves so be careful, better a bit tight then loose. Hope it gives you some confidence. Also how is your chips working. I just ordered the chipset from guru, and have the same setup as you I believe, all OEM except for K/n filter.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:26 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

I like the chips a lot. There is a lot of boost down low and it stays on boost longer then stock. I have not installed the shims yet (next week I hope), so I am loosing a bit of boost at the top end, above 5500 RPM. But by the SOTP, the car does feel quicker!! I did a DE this past week and was reeling in every Boxster in sight and several 911's (964, 993 and 996). But some got by me too........oh well, can't pass 'em all!
thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Tension on Cam and timing belts