Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok... so it caught on fire... what now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracoupe997
Oil on the cross over pipe plus the amount of oil under the car tells me the oil/air seperator o-rings are bad.
Noted... will replace those as well.

thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Crackership:

Sorry to hear about your situation, that really sucks. I once accidentally poured some ATF fluid on the headers of my 190E after a driving it around and started a small fire myself (long story for another day and not as tragic)

At any rate, your "human girlfriend" as you put it, she is a keeper!!!! Helping out with repairs, I am jealous

Best of luck in your repairs, suggest maybe starting a "rebuild thread"
Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbo911cm
Crackership:

Sorry to hear about your situation, that really sucks. I once accidentally poured some ATF fluid on the headers of my 190E after a driving it around and started a small fire myself (long story for another day and not as tragic)

At any rate, your "human girlfriend" as you put it, she is a keeper!!!! Helping out with repairs, I am jealous

Best of luck in your repairs, suggest maybe starting a "rebuild thread"
Is ATF really that flammable? because the rack did just recently develop a pretty substantial leak on the PS...

Yeah, my g/f is pretty fantastic... she cooks too!

the repairs will happen... probably pretty slowly, due to money, but I will definitely start a rebuild thread once there's some progress...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Landseer
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes, ATF is.

Kudos for quick thinking.
If the fuel lines had been affected this would have a different ending.

Pictures would be helpful, just because.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad to hear you found some oil cooler lines.

Wish I had some more parts I could send to you, but the only thing I have on your list is an oil pan gasket but I think it would be easier to find one in the US. Customs might be a pain and Canada Post is on strike......Apparently 25.00 and hour starting wage to deliver mail isn't enough money..............oh and the pension plan, the medical the dental........HA! FU@#$@#$@#$ ER'S still waiting for some parts stuck somewhere in postal purgatory

Well best of luck with getting things going.

I'll save the lines at LR in case someone else gets a fire......hope not though

Oh and to everyone on Rennlist a fire extinguisher from Costco is less than $40.00!!!!

Go buy one and keep it in the car and may you never have to use it

Jason
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Not only is ATF flammable it's also good at cleaning carbon deposits out of an engine

Jason
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Glad to hear you found some oil cooler lines.

Wish I had some more parts I could send to you, but the only thing I have on your list is an oil pan gasket but I think it would be easier to find one in the US. Customs might be a pain and Canada Post is on strike......Apparently 25.00 and hour starting wage to deliver mail isn't enough money..............oh and the pension plan, the medical the dental........HA! FU@#$@#$@#$ ER'S still waiting for some parts stuck somewhere in postal purgatory

Well best of luck with getting things going.

I'll save the lines at LR in case someone else gets a fire......hope not though

Oh and to everyone on Rennlist a fire extinguisher from Costco is less than $40.00!!!!

Go buy one and keep it in the car and may you never have to use it

Jason
You know, it just occurred to me when I read your post that I think I have an oil pan gasket... I looked, and yep, I do... bought it years ago for my first 944 and never used it... so, at least that's one more thing off the list.

again, thanks for the generous offer for the oil cooler lines.

And yeah, customs can be a nightmare... I waited for, I think about 2 months, for the coilovers and watts link for my Alfa to clear customs (had to get them out of Holland)... what could possibly take so long to determine that springs and shocks aren't drugs, or illegal ****, or whatever it is that they look for?
On the other hand, I ordered SS brake lines for the Supra out of Quebec and they were here within about 4 days... I don't know what to say about customs except that it is difficult to tell what they do for their money...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Landseer
Yes, ATF is.

Kudos for quick thinking.
If the fuel lines had been affected this would have a different ending.

Pictures would be helpful, just because.
ATF is flammable... good to know. don't know why I didn't, but I do now. Thanks!

Definitely would have been a different story if the fuel lines had gone...

I'll be taking some pics tonight and tomorrow... will post them when they're ready
Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If the fuel harness is the only wiring with severe damage, you can pick up a brand new replacement from LR. It's a very well made harness with great connectors.

Edit: Watch this post... Looks like some LR harnesses will be for sale soon and they are already in Seattle:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-mod-ever.html
Old 07-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
If the fuel harness is the only wiring with severe damage, you can pick up a brand new replacement from LR. It's a very well made harness with great connectors.

Edit: Watch this post... Looks like some LR harnesses will be for sale soon and they are already in Seattle:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-mod-ever.html
Yeah, actually the LR harness was the plan.

Thanks for the heads-up on the hopefully-soon-for-sale-locally LR harnesses!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Default Pics

as promised, here are some pics of the aftermath... my camera sucks a lot more than I thought it did, so they're not fantastic...

Here's one from the top:

another from the top:

another:

here's a very bad picture of the x-over pipe, where the fire looks to have been centered:

another pretty bad one of the x-over:

what's left of the vacuum line to the wastegate:

one of the firewall on the PS:

PS of the engine at the bell housing:

I took a bunch more pictures, but those were the only ones that turned out... um.. "good"?

As bad as they are, they'll still help you all get an idea.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a fire in there?

Any fire is bad, but I gotta say, that is all totally repairable! As car fires go, that was minimal.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey, at least you already had several parts painted or PC'd black...

Lucky you spotted the smoke quickly and were close to a business with a fire extinguisher! I always carry at least a little 2.5lb can in my older cars, and I have two 5lb ABC dry-chem's and one 5lb BC CO2 in the garage "just in case". I've never had to use them on my own cars, but I've used my little one on other people's cars a couple of times over the years... they were very thankful, and it's a high-quality fire extinguisher, so recharging it is possible and doesn't cost that much. The little plastic-nozzle extinguishers you pick up at big box stores are landfill material once used.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Hey, at least you already had several parts painted or PC'd black...
yeah, I figured if I painted stuff black, it wouldn't show dirt too badly, never occurred to me that it would hide fire damage too

Lucky you spotted the smoke quickly and were close to a business with a fire extinguisher! I always carry at least a little 2.5lb can in my older cars, and I have two 5lb ABC dry-chem's and one 5lb BC CO2 in the garage "just in case". I've never had to use them on my own cars, but I've used my little one on other people's cars a couple of times over the years... they were very thankful, and it's a high-quality fire extinguisher, so recharging it is possible and doesn't cost that much. The little plastic-nozzle extinguishers you pick up at big box stores are landfill material once used.
yes, I definitely got lucky that I wasn't in the middle of nowhere... could have been much worse!

I will be adding (good) fire extinguishers to all of my cars in short order! I definitely don't want to continue to test my luck!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:49 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i will be ordering an extinguisher tonight. ive been meaning to all summer.

Quick Reply: Ok... so it caught on fire... what now?