Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ok... so it caught on fire... what now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok... so it caught on fire... what now?

Yesterday, while driving through town, I pulled up to a stop sign and noticed smoke billowing out from under the hood...
I immediately pulled into the 7-11 there on the corner and popped the hood only to be presented with FIRE!!!
I ran into the 7-11 and asked for (read: demanded) a fire extinguisher, ran back out the car and doused the fire.

Once the tow truck showed up, and I pushed the car out of the spot I'd parked in, I noticed that the car had barfed about a quart of oil onto the pavement while sitting there. Once I got back home, I noticed about another 1/2 quart spot in the garage under where the car had been parked, centered around the front right of the engine bay.

At this point, even though I just wanted to drink and cry, I forced myself to thoroughly clean all the dry chemical powder from the fire extinguisher out of the engine bay and out/off of the car.

Today, I began the arduous task of cleaning the underside of the engine bay. It looks like there's about another 1/2 quart of oil all over the underside of the engine bay on the right side. Once I got it cleanish (I still need to clean much more) I started inspecting for fire damage/cause. So far, this is what I've found:
The fire was clearly centered on the x-over pipe, and was clearly an oil fire.
The oil cooler lines look like absolute poo (clearly leaking).
The oil pan gasket is leaking.
The vacuum line from the wastegate to the hard pipe is destroyed.
The wire for the WBO2 (Zeitronix) is questionable. It has scorch marks, but does not appear melted or severely burned. Further inspection will be necessary.
The injector harness is melted.
The plastic cover for the fuel rail is melted.
Fuel lines are scorched but, thankfully, not ruptured.
The PS rack boot is melted.

Otherwise, I have not found any real damage. The paint is fine, for which I'm extremely grateful. I'm sure that crystal green metallic is not easy to match or cheap in any way.

I will be replacing the oil cooler lines, the fuel lines, the PS lines, resealing the rack (it was leaking a bit beforehand, and I figure now is the time), replacing the rack bushings, replacing the fuel injector harness, replacing the WG vacuum line, replacing the oil pan gasket, the rod bearings and probably the oil pickup (since I'm doing the gasket). I'll also be adding a fire extinguisher. I'll probably do a few other things while I'm there, like control arm bushings and other stuff that's unrelated to the fire, but good while I'm at its.

So here are the questions:

do you think it is possible to truly asses the extent of the fire damage without pulling the engine?

does it seem reasonable that a leaking oil cooler line could cause a fire?

What are other things I should carefully check for fire damage?

what are other things I should do while I'm at it? I'm far less than concerned with how quickly it gets back on the road than I am with the condition in which it resumes it's life as my daily driver.

what are good sources for the items I need, or that you recommend? I have found various vendors for most things, but you may well know something I don't.

and finally, does anyone want to have a beer? I could really use one...

thanks in advance,

-Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 AM
slap929
Pro

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:50 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slap929
Sorry to hear about your loss.
I apprecite it. I'm trying to view it as an opportunity rather than a loss, but its not easy...

I'm considering selling my Alfa Romeo GTV6 track car to fund the 951's glorious return to the road, but I don't know if I can go through with it...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
tkrtape12
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow sorry to hear that...I hope you put her back together...and have it back and better then ever...
Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The fire should not have damaged your engine. What you have damged is replaceable althought the harness can be a real PIA. DCauto or Lart should have a used harness, and most of the after market people can fix you up with everything else. Having just said that you are still looking at $2,000 in parts.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

****, sorry to hear. if your oil pan gasket is leaking pull the engine. then you can inspect what else needs replacing. Id also replace fuel lines.

good luck!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crackership
I apprecite it. I'm trying to view it as an opportunity rather than a loss, but its not easy...

I'm considering selling my Alfa Romeo GTV6 track car to fund the 951's glorious return to the road, but I don't know if I can go through with it...
Dave,

1st, sucks man.. sorry to hear!

2nd, shoot me an email, lets open a dialog about your options.. should be able to get this done easily, and relatively cheaply..

3rd, Were I in your situation (job), I would consider either selling the track car or the 951.. sucks to say, but someone had to...
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default OIL COOLER LINES

I am reading your post and made a phone call to Mike Lindsey. He is looking for my stock oil cooler lines they still have them somewhere.

Phone Lindsey Racing when you get the message. If Mike finds them they will ship them to you and need your address.

You can have them for free and I will pay for the shipping to you. Sucks to hear what happened.

I pack a couple of extinguishers with me all the time.....I used to fire fight from 1989 to 2004 in B.C. and figured it would kill me if my car caught fire. I've seen lots of torched cars.

I'm glad to hear your were able to get an extinguisher right away. Things can go bad real fast.

Originally Posted by Crackership
Yesterday, while driving through town, I pulled up to a stop sign and noticed smoke billowing out from under the hood...
I immediately pulled into the 7-11 there on the corner and popped the hood only to be presented with FIRE!!!
I ran into the 7-11 and asked for (read: demanded) a fire extinguisher, ran back out the car and doused the fire.

Once the tow truck showed up, and I pushed the car out of the spot I'd parked in, I noticed that the car had barfed about a quart of oil onto the pavement while sitting there. Once I got back home, I noticed about another 1/2 quart spot in the garage under where the car had been parked, centered around the front right of the engine bay.

At this point, even though I just wanted to drink and cry, I forced myself to thoroughly clean all the dry chemical powder from the fire extinguisher out of the engine bay and out/off of the car.

Today, I began the arduous task of cleaning the underside of the engine bay. It looks like there's about another 1/2 quart of oil all over the underside of the engine bay on the right side. Once I got it cleanish (I still need to clean much more) I started inspecting for fire damage/cause. So far, this is what I've found:
The fire was clearly centered on the x-over pipe, and was clearly an oil fire.
The oil cooler lines look like absolute poo (clearly leaking).
The oil pan gasket is leaking.
The vacuum line from the wastegate to the hard pipe is destroyed.
The wire for the WBO2 (Zeitronix) is questionable. It has scorch marks, but does not appear melted or severely burned. Further inspection will be necessary.
The injector harness is melted.
The plastic cover for the fuel rail is melted.
Fuel lines are scorched but, thankfully, not ruptured.
The PS rack boot is melted.

Otherwise, I have not found any real damage. The paint is fine, for which I'm extremely grateful. I'm sure that crystal green metallic is not easy to match or cheap in any way.

I will be replacing the oil cooler lines, the fuel lines, the PS lines, resealing the rack (it was leaking a bit beforehand, and I figure now is the time), replacing the rack bushings, replacing the fuel injector harness, replacing the WG vacuum line, replacing the oil pan gasket, the rod bearings and probably the oil pickup (since I'm doing the gasket). I'll also be adding a fire extinguisher. I'll probably do a few other things while I'm there, like control arm bushings and other stuff that's unrelated to the fire, but good while I'm at its.

So here are the questions:

do you think it is possible to truly asses the extent of the fire damage without pulling the engine?

does it seem reasonable that a leaking oil cooler line could cause a fire?

What are other things I should carefully check for fire damage?

what are other things I should do while I'm at it? I'm far less than concerned with how quickly it gets back on the road than I am with the condition in which it resumes it's life as my daily driver.

what are good sources for the items I need, or that you recommend? I have found various vendors for most things, but you may well know something I don't.

and finally, does anyone want to have a beer? I could really use one...

thanks in advance,

-Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM
slap929
Pro

Sucks even more that you have to consider selling the alfa. Any chance we could see some pictures of that?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does insurance cover car fires?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Come to think about it, it should. unless the repair is more then the car is worth or more then half. It's something like that.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
I am reading your post and made a phone call to Mike Lindsey. He is looking for my stock oil cooler lines they still have them somewhere.

Phone Lindsey Racing when you get the message. If Mike finds them they will ship them to you and need your address.

You can have them for free and I will pay for the shipping to you. Sucks to hear what happened.

I pack a couple of extinguishers with me all the time.....I used to fire fight from 1989 to 2004 in B.C. and figured it would kill me if my car caught fire. I've seen lots of torched cars.

I'm glad to hear your were able to get an extinguisher right away. Things can go bad real fast.
That's a very kind gesture. Nice one.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Dave,

1st, sucks man.. sorry to hear!
Thanks, I appreciate it.
2nd, shoot me an email, lets open a dialog about your options.. should be able to get this done easily, and relatively cheaply..
again, thanks... email sent.

3rd, Were I in your situation (job), I would consider either selling the track car or the 951.. sucks to say, but someone had to...
It's good to hear the voice of reason from someone who's not in my head...
It's a pretty easy choice between the two. My first 944 died on the front bumper of a Toyota Tacoma (in Tacoma WA, ironically) and I originally bought the Alfa to replace it... but, as much as I love that car, it could never fill the void left by the 944 and I finally bought another (mere weeks before I got my pink slip). I just can't be without one again...

I've been playing with the idea of selling the Alfa for a while now, but I'd been holding off on the decision until I got a job so that I wasn't making a decision I would regret based on the finances of the unemployed... but I never thought I would be out of a job for this long... I just can't understand why it's so hard for someone with a bachelor's in computer engineering and a nearly complete MBA (it'll be done within the year) to find a job... especially in Washington!

Originally Posted by gruhsy

Thank you so very much... I really don't know what to say...
I wish I had read this post earlier today... this very morning, I went and picked up some used oil cooler lines from a buddy who's car is torn apart (and has been for years) and took them to a local hydraulic shop to have them rebuilt... I'll call Mike Lindsey and tell him not to sweat them... but seriously, thank you so, so much!

Originally Posted by slap929
Sucks even more that you have to consider selling the alfa. Any chance we could see some pictures of that?
Yeah, it sucks, but I've been considering it for a while now... I really don't know if I could ever treat them both the way that they deserve... one moody, high-maintenance girlfriend is enough thankfully the human girlfriend I have is absolutely awesome!

Here's pics of the Alfa... they're not very recent (or good), but not a lot has changed (visually) since then, except removal of most of the interior and the addition of a Sparco bucket seat:

And here's one of the aforementioned awesome human girlfriend, pulling my PS pump for a reseal because I was too hung over to see straight... she resealed it too and re installed it into the car... all I had to do was set the belt tension!

I'm sure it would, but here's the problem with that: I called my insurance company and asked them that very question... and here's what they said: Yes, it would be covered, if you had comprehensive coverage on that car. To which I responded: I do have comprehensive coverage on that car! Their response: No... you have comprehensive on your BMW and on your Toyota (1985 Celica Supra), but you only have liability on your Porsche.
After some digging, it is apparent that when I called and added the Porsche to my policy, they decided that when I said "I want comprehensive coverage on this car" what they heard was "I want liability on this car and I would like to add comprehensive coverage to my POS, rebuilt-title-having, rusty, moldy beater of a Celica Supra that might be worth $500 of a tax write-off if I donated it to the blind" Of course, they insist that the miscommunication was my fault and, therefore, will not do anything for me on the Porsche...
I think I will soon be searching for a new insurance company.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes, helps to have a police report.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Oil on the cross over pipe plus the amount of oil under the car tells me the oil/air seperator o-rings are bad.

Quick Reply: Ok... so it caught on fire... what now?