Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many are using evans cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:00 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.evanscooling.com/water-ba...fferentiators/

I, personally, don't want any unneeded pressure in my cooling system, and I definately don't want any localized boiling. Last issues cost me a few bucks.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
http://www.evanscooling.com/water-ba...fferentiators/

I, personally, don't want any unneeded pressure in my cooling system, and I definately don't want any localized boiling. Last issues cost me a few bucks.
It appears I was mistaken. Evans not only does locally boil, he actually espouses the virtues of it in the link you provided. Perhasp I should have used the term nucleate, rather than localized, but I didn't think folks would know what that meant.

But trust me, whatever the term is, you want to utilize it. It is how the cooling system works. The advantage of water is that the system operates at a lower temperature. Not sure what people's aversion to a pressurized system is. But with water wetter, the surface tension issue is removed. In short, the difference between distilled water with water wetter and Evans is that the Distilled water costs $1/gallon and operates at a lower temperature, and Evans operates at a higher temperature, and costs 40X that.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 PM
George D
Drifting

67King,

I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to use Evans. Distilled water and Red Line water wetter should do a better job at keeping "coolant" temps lowest.

A few facts and opinions below.

Factoid #1 - Jack Evans was hired by GM to do some design work on reverse cooled engines. The methods arent too complicated, but in the late 80's he designed a really good setup and it was his own "trade secret". GM used this on LT1's - there was a lawsuit... LS1's never got reverse cooling, and GM ended up paying half a million dollars to Evans in 2003 when the case was closed.

Higher engine temps mean more thermal efficiency (as long as you dont detonate) and you get heat soak as a byproduct. Ideally, if you could run your engine with 400F coolant temps you'd make more power, assuming it stayed together. The reason NPG+ helps is that it doesnt boil off at "lower" temperatures. This keeps hot spots from forming on the combustion chamber, which IS the #1 culprit for detonation.

NPG+ also is less thermally efficient than water (which is why it gets up to temperature so much faster). It physically transfers less heat away per liter of fluid. This means that temperatures inside the engine increase to make power power, and is also why it is SOMETIMES reccomended that you might want to remove restrictions in the coolant flow (like a thermostat, or upgrade your cooling system). It is actually insulating the combustion chamber with this heat, having a similar effect to coating the walls with something like what Swainetech does. But as it also reduces knock while doing it, there is a win-win scenario.

Popular Hot Rodding did a test on Evans. Here is a bite of what they found. "PHR just put the EVANS NPG+ coolant to the test. the subject was a 2002 Ford Ranger with twin turbo'd V6. are you ready for this...the NPG+ coolant allowed such an aggressive tune that the motor put out 75 horsepower more than it could with EG/water at 6000rpm."

It doesn't matter what anyone chooses to use. I've used distilled water and Redline. I've used antifreeze, and in an emergency, I've used water from a garden hose.

I'm using Evans because there were signs of detonation on my number 4 piston. There were also signs of my head lifting. When we pulled the motor, there were mineral deposits beginning throughout the water jackets. I've only used distilled water and high quality retail antifreeze.

My current water temps using Evans at 16psi tuning the TEC is between 200 and 210 degrees f. In my case, it's been the same as when I was using distilled water, antifreeze, and Redline water wetter.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
George D
Drifting

http://books.google.com/books?id=06T...page&q&f=false

Good read. May help a few understand how Evans works. Real world testing.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 PM
George D
Drifting

http://www.amtonline.com/publication...bId=1&id=10394

Beating a dead horse, but localized boiling and the steam it creates in my engine cost me dearly. Granted, the tune is partly to blame, but this stuff works. The FAA is making certain Rotax aircraft engines move to waterless coolant if they want to pass inspection. Evans ownes the patent.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I opted to add a vent port at the back of the head, just because I could not find enough people who have used Evans on these cars and raved about it. Call me a follower... Funny you mention GM, as I was partly following their lead in light of the steam ports they use on their high performance V8's. Either way, everything I've read says local boiling is bad. George, when you get your car back and put some miles on it, if you still swear by Evans, I'll be your first follower. In the meantime, my HG woes seem to be over as a result of lowering the timing and/or shortening the dowel pin in my block. Either way, 20psi sure is fun again...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
http://www.amtonline.com/publication...bId=1&id=10394

Beating a dead horse, but localized boiling and the steam it creates in my engine cost me dearly. Granted, the tune is partly to blame, but this stuff works. The FAA is making certain Rotax aircraft engines move to waterless coolant if they want to pass inspection. Evans ownes the patent.
Not sure I would cite a source that claims a 912 and a 914 use a radiator!!!

Waterless Engine Coolants
A look at the technology and SAIB NE-05-84R1

By Charles Chandler

Has the engine temp on your antique, homebuilt, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) been running a little high lately? If it has, then Evans Cooling Systems Inc. (ECS) of Sharon, CT, (www.evanscooling.com) has something that may help.

Replenishing your engine’s conventional ethylene-glycol/water coolant with its waterless type coolant should solve your overheating problem. But before you call, you need to check out the following service bulletins by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) AD 2007-0155, and FAA SAIB NE-05-84R1 to get information about coolant usage. If you have or maintain a Bombardier-Rotax (Rotax) 912 A, 912 F, 912 S, and 914 F engine, check out the Rotax service bulletins SB-912-043 Revision 2 (11/2/2006), and SB-914-029 Revision 2 (11/10/2006).

If you are aren’t operating or maintaining 912s or 914s, but still want the “down-low” on Rotax engines, go to AMTonline.com and look up the March 2009 issue, in which AMT contributor James Careless wrote an article on Rotex engines. Careless interviewed Rotax engine expert Dean Vogel of the Aero Technical Institute. In the article, Vogel is quoted as stating that, “Rotax engines are a popular choice for certified light and homebuilt aircraft, auto gyros, and military UAVs.” Rotax wanted to keep these engines light, so it took features from motorcycle and auto engines, and created engines with external oil tanks, and that use motorcycle oil and automobile grade fuel. These engines are water-cooled, which brings us back to Evans Cooling Systems Inc. and the information recommended in the EASA AD and FAA SAIB.
I know..rotax engines.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use it. I like it except for the annoying side effect that it doesnt evaporate ever. So dont spill it
Old 06-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The 8v cylinder heads are full of pockets that can easily fill with air bubbles from localized boiling. That’s the main reason I use Evans coolant on high end builds. The other reason it that the Darton sleeves will show some corrosion in a straight water cooling system.

Here is a pic of a sectioned 8v head….guess where the bubble will go!
Attached Images   
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

One other low pressure benefit of Evans for aging 951's, those heater cores are a beotch to replace.

Chris, do you do any special prep for running an engine with Evans, such as eliminating the thermostat?

Last edited by User 41221; 06-30-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I ordered a 1 gallon jug of evans flush fluid for my heater core. Everything else was new of course.

Stuck two hoses on the in and out of core, pluged bottom filled and drained a few times untill clear fluid was coming out.

Instruction were on Evans site.

Jason

Originally Posted by sh944
One other low pressure benefit of Evans for aging 951's, those heater cores are a beotch to replace.

Chris, do you do any special prep for running an engine with Evans, such as eliminating the thermostat?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 PM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have all convinced me

Fortunately for me, corleone had some extra i could buy
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I opted to add a vent port at the back of the head, just because I could not find enough people who have used Evans on these cars and raved about it. Call me a follower... Funny you mention GM, as I was partly following their lead in light of the steam ports they use on their high performance V8's. Either way, everything I've read says local boiling is bad. George, when you get your car back and put some miles on it, if you still swear by Evans, I'll be your first follower. In the meantime, my HG woes seem to be over as a result of lowering the timing and/or shortening the dowel pin in my block. Either way, 20psi sure is fun again...
I have a steam vent anyway. Used the Lindsey Racing kit. I'm not taking any chances with this motor. Building it twice sucked. Makes owning a boat seem cheap. We have been running Evans for about 1000 miles and the Evans coolant temps are staying around 200 degrees, and the oil is staying at 220. This is running 16psi, but we've run up to 18 with no issues. It's been fairly hot in SLC, but nothing like the 100 to 110 degrees we've been seeing here in Tucson.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:50 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
So glad to hear you got your HG issues figured out. With Evans you can have a slightly more aggressive tune. We keep on adding timing, and the motor just gets better. No dyno time yet, and my TEC had to be sent to Electromotive. The number 4 spark plug kept on fouling. Couldn't figure it out. Finally there was no spark. The TEC stopped firing at number 4. Sometimes I think this project is cursed. There is no turning back now. My pride and money is woven into this car.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 AM
DLS
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just a stupid question
Do you need to use the prep. fluid?
Can´t you just warm the engine up a little and then drain the coolant and then let the warm engine dry off the coolant that´s left in the system?

Quick Reply: How many are using evans cooling?