Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 Door handle installation notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 333 Posts
Default 968 Door handle installation notes

Ok, so I read the DIY for this a million times. This afternoon was D day, I gathered up my tools, invited a friend over and we went to it.

First weird thing was I couldn't remove the roll pin on the drivers 968 door handle. The end was folded over vs the other side having a c clip. Oh well, move on!

Remove the old handle, pop off the linkage. Can't match up the lengths of the linkages, the 968 one is too long and I can't shorten it anymore. Oh well, move on!

Pop the new linkage on, drivers side this isn't too much fun as the linkage is still attached to the door handle, but I get it done. Install the door lock, again not fun as the linkage is attached to the door handle, so there's little to no room, but I get it done.

Now we re install the microswitch and go to install the other white plastic linkage only to notice, to our horror, that it's gone! It somehow popped off the ball inside the door and dropped down into the door. Crap!!! Oh well, go to the passenger side and move on!

This side is much easier as I'm able to seperate the linkage from the door handle. 1, 2, 3 we're at the spot where we need to pop the white plastic linkage on and button it up. Yes, once again the white linkage drops into the door! Crap!

Time to remove the door panels. If you haven't had the pleasure of doing this on a Turbo S or a 968, you're in for a treat as they're held in place with a billion screws. The best ones are the ones that go through the L brackets at an angle that hold the arm rest on. Love those!

Anyways, find the damn plastic linkage, snap it back on and put the door handle on the passenger side. Test everything and it's working fine.

Go back to the drivers side, remove that door panel, find the linkage, snap it into place. Put the door handle on and test it. Uh, oh, having issues! Pulling the lever doesn't release the striker enough to really unlock the door. Guess I'll need to dremel some length off the 968 linkage to shorten it up some.

Great! Pull the door handle off, pop the linkage again, have the whole handle sitting in my hand. Now my friend Mike notices that the linkage is beginning to crack. (!!) Examining the old 951 linkage we notice that it's cracked too. (!!!) WTF?

Well, need to replace the linkage so need to remove it from the handle. I use my dremel to grind off the rolled edge and drive out the roll pin so I can seperate the damn linkage from the door handle.

Re assemble the passenger door panel, driver side is still totally apart. Get to call Sunset tomorrow and order a new linkage, roll pin, C clip, front door handle gaskets, and hopefully a clue. With any luck this stuff arrives Thursday so I can put it together Friday in time to leave for the track Saturday morning.

NOTES: Watch that damn white plastic linkage! If it drops off, you get to take off the door panels, which, not hard, is a colossal PITA.

Make sure you can remove the linkages from the door handles. Not sure why my drivers door handle was like that. It's MUCH easier to snap the linkages in place without wresting with the door handle too.

The spring on the door lock cylinder needs to be oriented a specific way. Examine it carefully before you disassemble it. I didn't on the drivers side so we got to re do that too.

I had very little slack on the microswitch harness on the drivers side. (Seeing a theme here?!) Since I had the door panel off, there's a wiring guide mid door that was holding all sorts of extra length for that harness. Loosening it up and moving it yielded all kinds of extra play in the harness.

Getting the linkage snapped back on inside the door isn't that hard. It helps to have a friend holding the linkage from above and lining it up. Once that happens use a 1 foot long flat head screwdriver to pop the linkage together. I got both sides done in just a few minutes.

CONCLUSION: It took two of us 4.5 hours to NOT be done with this job. In all fairness, if we hadn't dropped both (DAMN IT!) white plastic linkages inside the door we would've been done far sooner.

This job is WAY easier with another set of hands!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:27 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It akes awhile. Both Clarks and pelican have good write-ups. You just have to follow directions and be patient. I have one of the saved, that I can send to you. I've done the job a handful of times.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doc, not sure why the white clips gave you so much grief. Mine would pivot down (frustrating as hell) but they'd pivot right back up into position.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I remember when I did mine the first one took around 2 hours, the second one about 20 minutes! It does take some delicate maneuvering.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

ehall, I don't need any tech procedures. I have two and have pretty much installed the handles.

The white linkage, especially on the drivers side seems a little worn, that's why it popped off so easily.

Why do you think the other linkage on both handles was cracked?

Do you all agree with my theory that I need to shorten that linkage in order to have it release the striker more easily?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docwyte
ehall, I don't need any tech procedures. I have two and have pretty much installed the handles.

The white linkage, especially on the drivers side seems a little worn, that's why it popped off so easily.

Why do you think the other linkage on both handles was cracked?

Do you all agree with my theory that I need to shorten that linkage in order to have it release the striker more easily?
Adjusting the linkage is a balancing act to get the proper length.. too short and it wont open the door when you try, too long and the locks wont function properly.. IMHO the mechanism in the door could have been designed better, but it is what it is... Had to remove the entire shebang from the drivers door on one car, and clean / lube everything throughly to get proper adjustment and function on one car!

BTDT while installing a couple sets of handles.. and yes the white plastic piece for the locks will pop off easily if it is worn.. replacements are cheap though!
Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, ok, so I guess the linkage was too short then, as it wasn't opening the door properly.

Sunset to the rescue, I ordered all the little bits needed, including a new white plastic linkage piece.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:59 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by docwyte
Ahhh, ok, so I guess the linkage was too short then, as it wasn't opening the door properly.

Sunset to the rescue, I ordered all the little bits needed, including a new white plastic linkage piece.
There ya go.FWIW the shop manual calls for unbolting the window frame or something. It's supposed to be a breeze. I never tried it the "Easy" way. This is just one of those jobs that gets the best of everyone. Hang in there.
I can't imagine why the linkages cracked. I guess if they were too long that could happen.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joka is right about the balancing act. I had to lengthen mine to get a good "release". I could feel they were "preloaded" and trying to pop the door open at the first bit of trigger tension. Lengthening made the "pull" start a little later in the triggers stroke. Geometry isn't my thing, but it think that's what made it do what it did, better. The clips should probably be included with a set of handles, since 25 yo plastic is doomed to fail, holding up a project that isn't much fun...
Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I picked up these 968 handles used from another Rennlister. I had no idea that I should order the plastic linkages ahead of time. However, what really stopped me in my tracks was the broken metal door linkage...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got the linkage parts from Sunset on Tuesday and Mike and I put everything together yesterday. Since we knew what we were doing it went very quickly. I guesstimated the length for the linkage and happily I nailed it on the first try!

Was able to pop the linkage on in just a few seconds as well. After that it was just popping on the new plastic linkage and we were done.

I can't tell you how nice it is to finally have a drivers side exterior door handle that works!

Quick Reply: 968 Door handle installation notes