Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
TonyG,

You were recommending the 60-1Hi-Fi with the #6 hot housing. I was asking if you ever measured the backpressure on this setup.. Maybe you can check with Milledge? I'm sure he'll agree that the #6 is not suited.

Yes I have owned a K27#8, it was not as laggy as the K26#8.. Then again, the tuning has much do do with is as well. Note: (K27 7200 series is fine, the 7006 is WAY WAY too laggy).,

Going to larger turbine housing, to some extent, does not mean LAG. On one application, I use the #10 hot housing, and full boost is around 3300rpm.

The trick is to match compressor/turbine. I look at them as a complete system. Of course there are tradeoffs..

I have no doubt, that your system is nicely setup, especially if you are following Milledge advice. At no point I wanted to know his specs, and I do appreciate the fact that you are keeping his trade secrets secret.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasn't recommending anything. All I'm saying, which was my response to the comment that the 60-1HiFi is only good for top end and will be laggy..." is that this is not necessarily the case, that the 60-1HiFi can be made to spool up quickly, and that the spool rate is largly determined by what you do on the hot side much more than the size of the compressor (assuming close physically sized compressor wheels for the purpose of comparision).

I've had long discussions with John Milledge about turbine housings/wheels. And, it's not the #6 that he won't use, but rather any KKK (or KKK replica) turbine housing or wheels due to the back pressure, including the #6, #8, & #10. It's this back pressure that prevents you from running big cams. And is why I'm running the turbine setup that I'm running.

John Milledge builds very high HP applications, and for that to occur, it requires big cams/heads, and free flowing turbines/turbine housings, at the expense of lag (which he makes up for by simply going to larger displacements..)

With respect to full boost on a K27/10 or K27/8:

I had a K27 (7200) on a 6 & 8 hot side. I hated the setup with the 8 hot side. Furthermore, if I were to deal with the turbo response produced by the K27/8 on a 2.5L I would (and did...) simply go to a full Garrett setup in which case the back pressure is much much lower.

For the purposes of a street car where the owner wants quick turbo spool, and is happy with 330HP to the wheels, I'd recommned the 6 hotside all day.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tony,

sleeping dogs dude.

the argument was not about whether or a 60-1 could make full boost b4 a turbo s. The argument was that I called you out after you tried to say that .....

"compressor wheels have nothing to do w/ boost threshold"

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by TonyG:
<strong>The 60-1 HiFi refers to the compressor only. That in and of itself has nothing to do with lag.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Old 07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by fast951:
<strong>The #6 with the 60-1 is very restrictive.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I think you said somewhere that it's so restrictive, there is reversion....!!!!!! OMG. why would tim sell me this than?

"Im looking at my options.... The Garret ballistic lines looks like the way to go I guess for hotsides. Since I have a common wheel, PT says it wouldn't be a problem runing one of them. What a/r ratio should I be looking into?

Quick Reply: Turbonetics