Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mic location for Bluetooth head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:02 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mic location for Bluetooth head unit?

I'm trying to decide on a decent location for a Bluetooth mic.

I just added a Sony Bluetooth head unit with inbuilt iPod dock, and I've run an extension cable out the back of the head unit for a remote mic... but in the middle is a pain because of the sun visors...

Anyone got any inspired ideas?

Keith
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont have a picture of it but i've got mine on the top of the A arm on the drivers side. took it off ran the wire up and that was it. works well there.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Does the A-pillar cover come off easily, without removing anything major?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I cannot remember exactly but there's 3 or 4 screws under the caps that you unscrew. And you need to pull off some of the rubber/ plastic around the outside that holds it on. I don't remember if the whole thing came off or not but had enough room to thread the wire through.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Nothing major needs removing. Possibly the side of the dash (triangle piece of plastic) I think
Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've run a wire for my V1 up the A-pillar before without removing the cover at all. I just tucked the wire in from the windshield side and tugged both ends of the wire around the end of the cover to hold it in place. It stayed there for 8 years until I sold the car, and I pulled the wire out very easily.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Good info.

Will give it a go. (though -somewhat bizarrely- my mic seems to have stopped working... I might have futzed-up a setting. -Will have to check)

Keith
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

A-Pillar sounds like a great location for all the reasons mentioned above. However, in my experience as a traveling sales guy/talking to family with my wife in the car, etc, if you envision having a passenger in the car participate in the conversation you might want to consider a more central location as the passenger can be difficult for the person on the other end of the call to hear if the mic is focused only on the driver. Also, the A Pillar will get a lot of wind noise at speed compared to a place lower and more central in the dash which is where many OEMs put their mics.

Good luck with install.

Tim
Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by t-cup
A-Pillar sounds like a great location for all the reasons mentioned above. However, in my experience as a traveling sales guy/talking to family with my wife in the car, etc, if you envision having a passenger in the car participate in the conversation you might want to consider a more central location as the passenger can be difficult for the person on the other end of the call to hear if the mic is focused only on the driver. Also, the A Pillar will get a lot of wind noise at speed compared to a place lower and more central in the dash which is where many OEMs put their mics.

Good luck with install.

Tim
I was going to post this as well, so "hear, hear."

I have Bluetooth in my Bimmer and the mic is built into the overhead console b/t the driver and passenger. Even then, passengers tend to have to speak up a bit to be heard (I guess the mic is angled a bit toward the driver).
Old 06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Yep, in my Audi I retrofitted the factory Bluetooth, and the mic position is in the middle... It's a little more tricky with the sunvisor design on the 951, plus I have the Valentine 1 there, which will probably beep right into the mic. -It's usually just me in the 951, so I'll probably end up looking at the top of the A pillar, but for anyone who needs the 'two-seat-speaking' option would be well advised to think of it.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ran mine up under the A-pillar and across the trim piece near windshield and mounted on pivot ball in the middle of two sun visors. On a business trip or I would send you a pic. It works good there for both passengers. It was an Alpine unit, came with the pivot ball mount similar to GPS windshield mount.

Quick Reply: Mic location for Bluetooth head unit?