Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WHAT DOES A TANK OF GAS WEIGH?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 04:55 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your assumption of 320lbs is just that an assumption based on what you believe the weight is per gallon.

No it's not Tony. It's what my $600 citizen NaviHawk watch says on the outside of the whiz wheel. When I line up 54 US Gallons with 204 Litres, the "Fuel lbs" indicator shows "32" or 320lbs, which comes out to a more realistic 5.9 lbs per gallon. Same figures on the "Whiz Wheel" I used to get my commercial pilot's licence.

One would think that for aviation, these conversions are CRITICAL for flight safety and would be more accurate. Not only that, but avgas with it's lead content should be heavier than unleaded fuels.

So anyways Tony, I'm gonna email VP and ask why thier fuel weighs so much, cuz thier math doesn't add up.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:59 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I didn't think this minor correction on weight would stir things up so much. Tony, just actually weigh your drums and then pour out the fuel and measure the drum weight if you don't believe us.

Everyone that has to really worry about fuel weight knows that you thumbnail calculate gasoline at 6 lbs/gallon.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:27 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
How about the difference in the density of the AvGas in comparison to Pump gas? Wouldn't that affect weight?

Easiest solution to settle this. Talke a 1 or 2 Gal can, weigh it, fill it at the pump, weigh it again..
Old 06-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the difference in the density of the AvGas in comparison to Pump gas? Wouldn't that affect weight?

The difference is negligable for racing purposes, but regardless you would expect the avgas to weigh more because of the lead content. If race gas has other "techron" type additives that collectivly cause it to weigh more than avgas, then I'd be surprised.

Easiest solution to settle this. Talke a 1 or 2 Gal can, weigh it, fill it at the pump, weigh it again

Agreed, I'd do it if I had a scale to weigh with!
Old 06-29-2003, 01:55 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the information.

I first considered just weighing a small gas can, filling it with a gallon, reweighing, and doing the math, but I figured asking was easier.

We used to have a 106 otane station, but unfortunately it no longer exist, so i'm stuck with 93.

Quick Reply: WHAT DOES A TANK OF GAS WEIGH?