Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AVC-R Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 09:30 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tazzmann:
<strong>Ok just got back and Can you tell it went well? I learned that the boost pressure you set I don't think the AVC-R actualy cares about that. The duty cycle is what makes a difference that must be set properly. I was able to hit .9 kg/cm2 in 1st gear and 1.08 kg/cm2 in 2nd gear. I have the F/B Speed set at 1 in 1st and 2 in 2nd. I could easily hit 1.2 kg/cm2 in all other gears. I didn't have an assistant so this was done with the peak hold feature so I am not sure when the boost started to drop off and actualy I was overshooting 1.2 with the F/B Speed set at 5 in the upper gears so I was letting off the gas. Oh and my duty cycle is set at 85% and I will probably have to lower it to keep it under 1.2 kg/cm2 at least until I get an air/fuel meter to make sure I am not runing lean. Is pinging very noticeable? Either I never experienced it or I have no clue!

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

Congrats! As for the boost level settings, AVC-R won't care about that UNTIL it's learned your duty cycle curve, when the duty becomes a *. Then, when you turn up portions of the boost curve, it'll increase in that area only.

Maybe after it's learned, if you set a new target boost pressure (and not rpm specific changes like I described) it'll want to relearn the duty cycle for the new boost pressure, which is why it didn't work.
Old 01-28-2002, 06:01 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Where are you guys buying the AVC-R for 399.00?
And will it work with APE stage 2 chips?
I have a list of mods Id like to complete, but dont have the money to do them all at once. This and a new wastegate/turbo/MAF are all in the works one day..but for now I could prob. swing the boost controller and more than likely the wastegate. How long did the install take? Should it be relatively easy for someone who has never done one?
Old 01-28-2002, 06:28 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by SamGrant951:
<strong>Where are you guys buying the AVC-R for 399.00?
And will it work with APE stage 2 chips?
I have a list of mods Id like to complete, but dont have the money to do them all at once. This and a new wastegate/turbo/MAF are all in the works one day..but for now I could prob. swing the boost controller and more than likely the wastegate. How long did the install take? Should it be relatively easy for someone who has never done one?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I got mine on ebay (brand new) for around $340US. The owner bought it for his car, but totalled the car before it was installed.

If you go to <a href="http://www.google.com" target="_blank">http://www.google.com</a> and do a search for 'AVC-R price' you'll find some around teh $425 range.
Old 01-28-2002, 10:25 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Sam<a href="http://www.ecarshops.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TM&Product_Code=GB-avcr" target="_blank">HERE</a> is where we got them for that price but it seems they must of ben on sale because they are $459 now. I would guess I have spent about 12 hours on the install stretched out between 3 days. This was my first time doing anything like this and with the help of this board it went well. I have a text document I can send you if you decide to get the AVC-R. Also check out <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000493" target="_blank">this</a> thread for more information.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:29 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got my avc-r last night and was conteplating were to mount it. I was wondering, once setup, is there any need to have it displayed? I was thinking of mounting mine under the center console door (where the cassettes are suppose to go). The other option I have is under the radio along with my boost gage. This would require relocating my arm1 to the factory clock position. Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 01-29-2002, 10:43 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Rob from what I am told about setting the unit up is once you get it set up you don't really want to change it because then it will mess up you air/fuel settings. Other than that I think it is a good tool to be able to monitor your car and make sure everything is ok. If you look at my pictures up top I think it will be hard to get the main unit and a 2/16" gauge mounted in there together. I have them wedged in there together unless you get rid of the mounting screws on the bottom corners.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:57 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by tazzmann:
<strong>Rob from what I am told about setting the unit up is once you get it set up you don't really want to change it because then it will mess up you air/fuel settings. </strong><hr></blockquote>

taz.
It won't affect the Air/Fuel settings directly, but it seems like it wants to relearn everytime you make a change to certain boost control settings. I think it has a mind of it's own. Air/fuel ratio will change with higher boost.

Rob, I would mount it somewhere you can see it. It's really fun to record runs and review them. Also has some other interesting data grabbing features. You really need to get some hands on to begin to understand it.

I'll have to get the camera out to give some examples.

I've moved mine around a bit. Right now it's setting where the ash tray used to be. We'll see how that works.

DanD
86 951 - MAFIII APEXi-AVC-R a few other goodies..
Old 01-30-2002, 02:38 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking of mounting it on the steering column between the wheel and dash. Put it on a hinge so you can flip it down when not in use, then flip it up when you want to look at it.

Or putting some reflective polarizer filter low on the windshield just above the dash. Then mount the AVC-R facing up on the dash itself. Your own HUD!
Old 01-30-2002, 06:30 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

What I mean Dan is that if you change your boost all the time your Air/Fuel settings will need adjusting.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:27 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gotta love the HUD Idea!! I'll have to give it some more thought.

Thanks for the ideas and info.
Rob
Old 01-31-2002, 04:11 PM
afahrlan
Intermediate

What's required if you're going to be switching between 2 boost levels a bit? Would it matter for something like .8 bar and 1.1 bar as your 2 levels?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, your ignition and fuel maps would be completely different between those two boost levels. Only realistic way to have optimium performance at differnt boost levels is to have an aftermarket EFI system.

For more detailed discussions varying your max-boost levels, check out this thread: <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/scripts/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=000575" target="_blank">EBC question</a>

hint: there's a thing known as a throttle...

Quick Reply: AVC-R Install Pics