head studs/nuts,,replace or reuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 09:00 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post head studs/nuts,,replace or reuse

I'm getting ready replace the head(already have WF gasket & set), new turbo, intake manifold Jet Hot coated outside only, rod bearings(oil pan gasket leaking so why not), probably rings too since we'll have access, but my question is: Should I get new studs and nuts,,,just new nuts,,,reuse the old ones; this will be the first for the head to be off? Just interested in your always valuable opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2002, 09:35 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory head studs can not be reused!
Old 01-13-2002, 09:41 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Factory head studs SHOULD not be re-used. I have heard of many doing it, and I did as well, but it is better to get a good set while you are in there. The 3rd time I tried to torque them, I felt the bolt strech. It was obvious because my breaker bar turned much easier, and that bolt was 1/4" longer than the others when I removed them!!!

Also, if you ever need to pull off the head again, you won't be forced to buy a set then.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:30 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get new head studs. I recently installed Garrity's 190ksi studs and I was impressed by them. They are actually a little bit cheaper than the raceware studs.

If you plan to change the rings with the engine in the car, you will need to find an alternate location to support the engine from. The standard engine lift points are on the alternator/ac bracket and the cam tower. Obviously if you want to re-ring, you need to have the head and the oil pan off.

I suppose you could install the lower crossmember without the oil pan and then remove the head. Gosh, I wish I would have thought of that when I recently replaced my rod bearings.

'86 951
-Steve
Old 01-13-2002, 11:02 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Any pointers on ring installation...Is there any special trick to it other than ensure there is an adequate ring gap ??? I have a used motor, on a stand, with low leak down numbers (numbers were from 4 % to 1 %) ...I tested the engine when it was cold as I have yet to install it...

It has new belts, front and rear seals and I am considering putting a wide fire head gasket it, rod and main bearings and perhaps the rings...and looks like head studs if I change the gasket...I figure why not since it is out?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:00 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just emailed Garrity, I remember the "name" contest.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually stagger the rings, so the gaps don't line up. God knows how long they stay that way, but it makes me feel better.

Quick Reply: head studs/nuts,,replace or reuse