Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modificaton Clarification

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:04 AM
Carboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Modificaton Clarification

I've read a lot about what things to do to increase the performance of the 951 and there seems to be a lot of opinons and vendors with stages etc. What is missing from all of the pricing is approximately how much a shop should be charging to do the mods.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any of the following summarizations of what I've read. The best bang for the buck would be the chips and wastgate shims that should add 40-45 hp and should cost around 300-500 to do?

The next step I would think is exhaust, downpipe, or MAF (no idea what labor would be)? Then you have the various Turbo upgrades that cost anywhere from $1K-3K plus at least what $1K in labor?

Are these assuptions correct? If so, then is the average seat of the pants satisfied with the chips and wastegate shims? If you decide to do the Turbo upgrade and boost controller is the chips and shims investment lost? I'm trying to decide which of my cars I want to be my speed demon. For under $6K I can supercharge my NSX and add over 130HP. If I do this then I don't want to dump thousands in the 951 for tons of power. Plus I think I'll be able to get that $5K back out of the NSX when I sell. Where as I could easily see having a total of $20K in a 951 and not being able to get more than $15K out of it.

Are my mods assumptions correct? Can someone point blank give summaries including labor such as:
1. Chips, Wastegate shims $200-$300 parts and _____ Labor
2. Stage 1 turbo from ____, _____, or _____ $900 for parts, _____ for labor
etc.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Used chips & banjo-bolt or wastegate shim: $100-150. Time to install is 30-minutes. Anyone can do it with household handtools and the proper instructions.

Exhaust would be good upgrade next. About $300-1000 for exhaust system and they too are bolt-on in about 1/2 hour.

MAF and turbo upgrades are more complicated. You really wouldn't get much unless you do both at the same time. About $3000-4000 for complete MAF kit with turbo. Count on 5-10 hours to install and 5-10 to tune.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:14 PM
Carboy
Advanced

You mean it's only 30 minutes to install the wastegate shims and chip. I thought you had to drop the exhaust and other stuff to do the wastegate. My local guy acted like it would be $500 to do the wastegate and chip.

Is this wrong?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:43 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it took me 2 hours to install my LR wastegate and re route all the new vacuum lines to bypass the ciclic vavle. The wastegate is pretty easily accessed!
Old 01-14-2002, 05:00 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

**** Lukesilver - it took me a couple days (not straight working). I had a MAJOR problem with the bolts on the wastegate as they were corroded. I ended up breaking off all 7 exhaust bolts on the wastegate, drilling and re-tapping the wastegate and buying new bolts for it. It was a PITA. But nothing too major for me. Easier than when I did the radiator!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know. I was lucky because now of the studs broke on me. I guess that's the norm though. I hope I have this muuch luck with my turbo install!!

I had to apply a couple of well placed "whacks to the old unit to break it free from the corroded inlet.

the hardest part of the whole job was stretching the vacuum line (blue) over the old banjo bolt!!!!

Quick Reply: Modificaton Clarification