Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

erratic coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 10:30 PM
h1psi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post erratic coolant leak

About 2,000 miles ago I had the full timing belt/water pump/all new rad hoses etc... service done by a reputable 944 mechanic. However, twice I have noticed that a small puddle of coolant has formed under the car within a half hour of parking the car.

Could this be overflow? Any suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated,

Steve
Old 04-25-2002, 10:41 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Steve where does the puddle form? The overflow tube is on the drivers side.
Old 04-26-2002, 02:16 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Steve,

As someone mentioned, it's critical to determine the source of the coolant leak. If it is leaking from the overflow, which I've experienced in the past, then possibly this input may help. The overflow tank is marked with a "low" and "full" line. In the case of my old 2.5 litre it was important to keep the level at the low setting. One cup over the low setting and I would have the coolant blown out the overflow tube whenever I was on full boost. In my case it was probably localized boiling at the turbo. Not a big deal. Possibly, if your problem is collant out of the overflow, your scavage pump for the turbo may not be operating properly. This 3.1L motor does not replicate this problem. However, it is quite common for the coolant to be boiling into the tank after shutdown. Hope this is of some assistance. PS. Neither motor ever ran hot.
Old 04-26-2002, 10:06 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

It could be your turbo aux. water pump. This circulates the coolant for the turbo after shutdown. If you look in your engine bay it is the smallish black cylinder to the left of the expansion tank. They typically leak where the two halves of the pump come together and can be repaired--or--simply replace(I replaced mine, I think it was about 50.00). This "mystery" leak drove me nuts for a year!!

Quick Reply: erratic coolant leak