Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help with my rebuild!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Emily750
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my rebuild!!

ok I bought my first 86 951 two month ago for 7300. on my way home from picking it up I started hearing a spun rod bearing. Yea I got jerked! He wouldn't give my money back so I purchased a new engine and started doing oil pan upgrades, new head gasket and seals and stage 3 clutch. As I'm pulling the engine out I took a look at the k27 turbo and notice the broken blades and the turbo dosnt spin freely. I have 1100 left on my budget. What are my options?

Turbo rebuild
Buy new turbo
What would be my best option
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

are you sure that the sound you heard wasn't initally from the turbo and not a bearing noise?? I would buy a new new turbo instead of trying to rebuild an 80's unit. It has 1980's technology in it. . You can get a new turbo with NEW TECHNOLOGY like a gt30r for around 1150-1250. Call Tim @ speed force racing, Tell him your story, He might give you a great deal . I know he gave me one . Good luck!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you know you've spun a bearing?
did you look before you went and bought a new engine?
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Emily750
Advanced

It sounded like a belt was lose at first, then I heard a knocking as I got home.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kev951
are you sure that the sound you heard wasn't initally from the turbo and not a bearing noise?? I would buy a new new turbo instead of trying to rebuild an 80's unit. It has 1980's technology in it. . You can get a new turbo with NEW TECHNOLOGY like a gt30r for around 1150-1250. Call Tim @ speed force racing, Tell him your story, He might give you a great deal . I know he gave me one . Good luck!
So your telling him/her to break the bank on just the turbo? What about and updated tune? Add a newly reprogramed chip to that cost. Couldnt disagree with this more. the car "hopefully" is already set up for the k27

Get the turbo rebuilt, plug and play. Should be the cheapest option. You bought a 25 year old car the first priority is to get it running right and then if you feel the need to update then you can if your not happy with it or, sell it because that will certainly break your bank making it into a viper beater
Old 06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Www.gpopshop.com does good work and they have great service
Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

IMO... I'd assess the damage before i go buying new engines or turbos ect. you've probably wasted more money on buying a new engine when you could (if you did spin a bearing) of taken the engine out open the oil pan assess what happend change the bearings, new seals, other oil pan mods, then you could of put a new clutch in, and other "while your in there" things and saved some $$$ and put it in your pocket.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:00 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Guys..

https://rennlist.com/forums/search.p...nduser&u=97165

Really?

Emily, put down the check book, and step back for a minute...

You paid $7300 for an 86 951.. thought you heard rod knock on the way home,
So then you bought an entire new motor
and started to build that motor
ONLY when you were pulling the motor out of the car did you have a look at the turbo ON the car?

You then posted here asking about open deck vs closed deck, and how to get 400HP out of a car you have driven once?
Old 06-14-2011, 02:10 AM
Barnaby Jones
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Guys..

Really?

ONLY when you were pulling the motor out of the car did you have a look at the turbo ON the car?

You then posted here asking about open deck vs closed deck, and how to get 400HP out of a car you have driven once?
And people here called me a troll!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Guys..

Really?

I saw the same thing after i posted my last post.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ll bet the bearings are fine and the sound was the turbo dying…..

Did the oil pressure drop off to next to nothing? That’s the usual result of the spun bearing.

BTW – the GT series is a nice idea…but you need a lot of exhaust mods to make it work. There are a number of bolt on solutions that are cheaper and give 90% of the power increase that a GT series will deliver.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Emily750
Advanced

Yes the oil pressure dropped as I drove home so it is the rod bearing. The Reason I was asking about open deck is because I had wanted to build the new block so I would have to do down the line. I also have a 67 ls3 Camaro that I need to finish so my money is limited, plus Im already in 11k. The turbo was "rebuilt" so I never bothered to check the turbo.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

$1100 budget to finish it up is going to be a little tight, but a rebuild on the turbo is what I'd do. Have you already purchased the new vacuum lines, venturi delete, plugs, filters, oil, antifreeze, belts, hoses, and all of the other things that usually go with a fresh engine? It can add up quickly.

Where are you from, any pics of the car?
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
I’ll bet the bearings are fine and the sound was the turbo dying…..

Did the oil pressure drop off to next to nothing? That’s the usual result of the spun bearing.

BTW – the GT series is a nice idea…but you need a lot of exhaust mods to make it work. There are a number of bolt on solutions that are cheaper and give 90% of the power increase that a GT series will deliver.
I can attest to what Chris is laying down here... I am almost 2K into Exhaust mods to fit a yet to be had Turbo (GT30 Tial unit??) onto a yet to be assembled (by Mr. White himself) Engine... and still havent covered the ground from the turbo to the tailpipe..

Rumor has it a mad scientist is working up a solution for my exhaust, and I have a custom coating solution for it that should be interesting... if I ever get this car finished!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
Chris would you mind to share or you could PM me.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Help with my rebuild!!