Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intermittent no-spark, suddenly hesitating on boost + rich at idle and part throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black51
It's tough to see, but does the needle 'flicker' when under boost, when the you hear the popping?
I don't think I saw it doing that, but in retrospect I was glancing around at all the gauges so I could've missed it.

I've also put the car up in the air on the lift and looked at all the pre-turbo plumbing for loose/missing bolts. Didn't see any, and I double checked tightness of all the wastegate bolts. None were loose at all.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:39 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news! I'm a bonehead and neglected to CLOSELY check the silicone couplers on my hard IC pipes. Of course, the one right at the turbo outlet was popped off on the underside making it very difficult to see. I only noticed it as I was loosening the hose clamps on the IC side. Took the whole pipe off and had a quick look down into the cold side outlet and saw no oil! Bone dry!

Tightened up and double checked everything and she's back to running like a scalded cat at 15psi!

Still need to address the lower balance shaft cover leak and make absolutely sure the upper balance shaft isn't getting any oil on the bottom of the cold side and throwing me off... Another day.

Moral of the story: Check your f'ing boost pipes and the connections even where you can't see, with your HANDS and not just your eyes!!!

Last edited by IMB951; 06-19-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Intermittent no-spark, suddenly hesitating on boost + rich at idle and part throttle?