Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

another seat query...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 AM
incomplete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another seat query...

my stock driver's seat it tore up, and i'm ponding a world of possibilities for replacement seats. here are the gory details about me and the car:

* i'm 6'4", 220 lbs and in shape (important if i go w/recaros or something like that)
* the car will be a weekend/occasional daily driver, and built out for track days w/harnesses and a roll cage (bolt in, not full)
* i would like to go the harness route, and 6-points
* the car will hopefully be trailered to HPDE events (just in case it breaks down)
* i would love to use it around town occasionally, as well as for short (3 hour) trips
* i have short legs and a tall torso (34" inseam, 35" waist)

now that i've gotten that out of the way, here are my 'requirements'... which are flexible:
* seat covering doesn't matter (leather vs cloth vs vinyl)
* adjustable seat position would be awesome (front-back and reclining -- my track position is a lot different than my driving around position)
* i am fine with replacing either one or both seats

...and my options:
* sparco evo2 (not adjustable, but fits on rails and seems to be a great seat w/a harness)
* reupholster my stock 951 seat
* find a good set of 951 sport seats
* ?????? anything else?

thoughts? ideas? past experiences?

i haven't owned a car with aftermarket seats before, and will definitely be trying some out for fitment if i go that route. on top of that, i've heard that the sport seats are really nice, and i've sat in a set and liked them.

i'm definitely putting a real FIA approved harness in the car, which is important in my purchase plan. i've heard that the stock porsche seats (sport and non-sport) will work with harnesses, but i'd like to hear the opinion of the masses before i think about a purchase.

as always, thanks in advance!

shane
Old 06-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I had Scat/Procar seats in my car... They worked great and arent that expencive. They recline and you can use 5 point harness.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1606-61L/
Old 06-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are going to seriously track the car then the stock type seat is no good. PCA has banned the use of anything but the stock harness for use with the stock seats – its because the shape of the seat back makes the harnesses slip down.

A 5/6 point harness on a track car s not just for safety – it holds you in place and lets you drive the car better. A 944 with sticky tires will make you slide out of the stock seats!!

Corbeau makes some decent seats that are not hugely expensive. I have installed a quite a few and they look nice and work well.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am 6'1 200lbs i have the recaro SRD which i love. Heck i have 5 srd seats lol
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

You're proportioned like me, so you're going to have a heck of a time finding seats that fit you properly. The main issue is the shoulder harness holes will be too low for you.

Out of all the seats I've tried, these 3 are the best for fitment...

Recaro SRD/Speed - this is a "combo" seat, it reclines, is comfortable, but has a sub strap hole

Recaro SPG XL - fixed back seat, very comfortable

Cobra Suzuka GT - fixed back seat, more snug through the hips vs the SPG XL, not quite as comfy

Decide which one you want and go from there. The Recaro SPG XL is quite a bit more $$ than the Cobra.

I had the Cobra's and now have the Recaro SRD's. I'd like a set of the SPG XL's though and may put my SRD's up for sale...
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by incomplete
my stock driver's seat it tore up, and i'm ponding a world of possibilities for replacement seats. here are the gory details about me and the car:

* i'm 6'4", 220 lbs and in shape (important if i go w/recaros or something like that)
* the car will be a weekend/occasional daily driver, and built out for track days w/harnesses and a roll cage (bolt in, not full)
* i would like to go the harness route, and 6-points
* the car will hopefully be trailered to HPDE events (just in case it breaks down)
* i would love to use it around town occasionally, as well as for short (3 hour) trips
* i have short legs and a tall torso (34" inseam, 35" waist)

now that i've gotten that out of the way, here are my 'requirements'... which are flexible:
* seat covering doesn't matter (leather vs cloth vs vinyl)
* adjustable seat position would be awesome (front-back and reclining -- my track position is a lot different than my driving around position)
* i am fine with replacing either one or both seats

...and my options:
* sparco evo2 (not adjustable, but fits on rails and seems to be a great seat w/a harness)
* reupholster my stock 951 seat
* find a good set of 951 sport seats
* ?????? anything else?

thoughts? ideas? past experiences?

i haven't owned a car with aftermarket seats before, and will definitely be trying some out for fitment if i go that route. on top of that, i've heard that the sport seats are really nice, and i've sat in a set and liked them.

i'm definitely putting a real FIA approved harness in the car, which is important in my purchase plan. i've heard that the stock porsche seats (sport and non-sport) will work with harnesses, but i'd like to hear the opinion of the masses before i think about a purchase.

as always, thanks in advance!

shane
Hi Shane,
If you are running harnesses you will need harness slots for pca events, factory sport seats are awesome but don't have harness slots... they also need to match side to side, both seats as well as restraints.

We are Corbeaus dealers as you can tell from our signature, having said that if you decide to do Corbeau seats make sure you get them with the shaved seat cushion option as this will allow for added headroom.

You should always try a seat out before you buy it though. Every seat is built different and so is every human, harness slot location is imperative for proper belt operation...your shoulders may block the slots in some applications.
Hope this helps
Rich

ps We're running a promo where if you buy 2 reclining seats & 2 brackets we pick up the shipping charges anywhere in the mainland.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
incomplete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks all for the tips. guess i'll be looking at replacing my stock seats altogether and trying to get some test-sitting done. @rocs, i'll probably be in touch in a month or so.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Recaro SPG XL
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

shane , factory seats and harness' = injury in a crash situation. the angle of the dangle is all wrong without the pass through slots on the seats and the harness' will actually cut into you .. ALL BAD.. If i was your build, i would consider an spg xl or an evo 2 . both light and strong. you might find the pro 2000 worth while also. it has borh side and bottom mounting options . That is what I have (its an early ninety's ferrari challenge car seat from sparco which at the time was called the MONZA) which today is the pro 2k and not the new monza seat.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:52 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

Sat in a RaceTech 4009W today at the track. I fit in it in every dimension except the shoulder harness holes. They were a tad too low. With the shoulder straps over my shoulders they're pointed up a little bit. If I cinched them down it'd probably be ok, but still somewhat marginal. For those seats to fit properly the shoulder harness hole would need to be lengthened...

Quick Reply: another seat query...