Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sell the 88 Turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
I think you are dead-on in your assessment. Perhaps teh pictures do not do this car justice, and I know the engine pictures need to be retaken with less light, but in these pictures, the cloth on the interior looks faded, the engine and undercarriage look old and dirty, etc. Needs a lot of detailing, repainting/replating, and some interior work to get that kind of money, IMHO. Looks like a nice $10K car to me.
+1

Sorry.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I disagree, relook at the car you posted and the car advertised here. With returned to stock and stone guards and some detailing of course, this is as nice as the one listed. The mileage is also in the same ball park under 40k.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would disagree on the fact the car needs a respray. The paint is in fantastic condition and I believe someone would much rather have the original paint if it is in the condition it is in. Agreed, the rock guards need to be replaced, just need to get around to it. Those factory guards really take away from the overall condition of the car. I suppose I can get the engine bay steam cleaned, but if I was the potential buyer I would rather see the current condition rather than seeing a sparkling clean engine bay and thinking the owner is trying to hide something. The original wheels are going to be refinished. If the buyer wants the car back to original I would be willing to return to stock and lower the price some.

So asking price 16.5k with most mods, and 15k without; think is more resonable?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
I disagree, relook at the car you posted and the car advertised here. With returned to stock and stone guards and some detailing of course, this is as nice as the one listed. The mileage is also in the same ball park under 40k.
If it could be detailed and brought back to that point, I would agree with you. But I can tell you that stuff like oxidized cadmium does not clean up wtih detailing. At least it didn't on my 64K car. Rust on the bottom of the car (see the transaxle) does not clean up with detailing. And the worst part about it is that the car appears to have spent a lot of time parked in the sun - it may be the lighting, but I don't think that it is. Look at how faded the top of the rear seats are compared to new fabric:

[IMG][/IMG]

That's not something that can be fixed with elbow grease. And I'm not trying to be a jerk or insult the car, just give an honest assessment of what I would think it would bring, since the OP is considering selling it to finance another project.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Yup, that's what the extra fabric is for. I was going to get the top of the back seats done, but the upholstery shop wasn't able to do it at the time I got the side bolsters done. The reproduction fabric is also a bit darker in general than the non faded factory fabric.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really? Having been through this required level of "detailing" on more than one 944, I can say it is neither difficult nor cheap... nor is it what the buyer of a 17K 944 Turbo is looking to dive into..

I am sorry, and perhaps this is just my oppinion (we all have one, I know)..

I have dealt with perspective buyers looking to throw 10K+ at the first car they come accross, and even a few willing to forgo a PPI just to get the car.. but these buyers are few and far between. Far fewer buying 15K+ cars, and this set of buyers is even more particular and picky about the cars.. IMHO the OPs car is NOT a survivor car, nor is it in factory condition.

Were I looking to sell this car in question, I would list is as is, where is, including all parts to return it to stock, opening bid of 10K, reserve of 12,5.. or possibly no reserve, and see what happens.. if it IS a 17K car it will bring 17K..

FWIW, the cost in time, effort, and materials to bring 17K, is lost getting it to the point of bringing 17K.. you gotta know when to hold em, and when to fold em..

Were I faced with converting this to a track car, or selling this to get a lesser car for track use.. I would do the conversion to this car and not look back.. it has already been modded.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Djbrand1
The reproduction fabric is also a bit darker in general than the non faded factory fabric.
Where was the reproduction fabric sourced from?

I ask because I've just ordered new fabric for my own Turbo 'S', to redo the front seats. -Mine however are a dark blue pinstripe, so we may not have used the same source. -I'm trying to only have to do the seat-backs, if the color match is acceptable.

Likewise, I may have to redo the side-bolsters on the back... I've ordered vinyl samples, and might just end up getting get an entire spare set of seats reupholstered to match...

I'd love to re-do the stone guards, but I'm dreading removing the old ones...
Old 06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by VWaddict
Where was the reproduction fabric sourced from?

I ask because I've just ordered new fabric for my own Turbo 'S', to redo the front seats. -Mine however are a dark blue pinstripe, so we may not have used the same source. -I'm trying to only have to do the seat-backs, if the color match is acceptable.

Likewise, I may have to redo the side-bolsters on the back... I've ordered vinyl samples, and might just end up getting get an entire spare set of seats reupholstered to match...

I'd love to re-do the stone guards, but I'm dreading removing the old ones...
Dreading the stone guard replacement as well, may pay a body shop to do it.

I got the fabric from this website. http://www.werk924.com
Old 06-10-2011, 12:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Yup, that's what the extra fabric is for. I was going to get the top of the back seats done, but the upholstery shop wasn't able to do it at the time I got the side bolsters done. The reproduction fabric is also a bit darker in general than the non faded factory fabric.
That may affect value if you're going for an "all original" kind of buyer.

Mods don't really add value unless they are serious mods (big turbo, 3.0L, etc.) Small stuff like a WG, chip, and MBC are giveaways on these cars. If you want to recoup your losses there, pull them off and sell them separately.

I'm still with JohnKoa and King... though since it IS an 'S', it's silver rose, I'd bet that you should be able to land $13-14k for it. List it for $15k and expect to get beat up a little.

I kinda see it as a clean low mileage driver but NOT a clean low mileage collector's car. IMO it would need And when using these cars as drivers, mileage doesn't mean much, as several other listers here can attest to.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:23 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

I got the fabric from this website. http://www.werk924.com
Me too.

Thomas has been great to deal with. -They're making me new carpets as well.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

John, point taken and I missed the pics of the rear seat and engine bay. I stand corrected. I was judging off the front seats.

One other question is the dash cracked?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

John, point taken and I missed the pics of the rear seat and engine bay. I stand corrected. I was judging off the front seats.

One other question is the dash cracked?
They come cracked from the factory!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More people need to read the stickied threads at the top of the forum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...alert-128.html
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Nope, dash is like new. No cracks. Been a garage queen, and when it was outside it was covered and UV shades in the front window.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott H
More people need to read the stickied threads at the top of the forum...

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...alert-128.html
Wow never saw that before. It seems that I'm not the only one who has dealt with them and had good experience. Ashame the link is marked that way because they are a great resource for some of the hard to find fabrics.

Quick Reply: Sell the 88 Turbo S?