Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has this turbo gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Brian Fugok
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has this turbo gone bad?

Just went to replace my stock intake system and I noticed the I/C pipe going into the intake manifold had some oil, uh oh, me thinks! I then get to the j-boot and oil drips out of it! I **** myself and then clean up the oil. The impeller shaft has no in and out movement but plenty of up and down, it appears that the blades could contact the housing, but the blades look good and intact.
This is a new Garrett T04E/50 with #8 hotside. It has less than 400 miles on it with no track days and zero time above 14 psi. The turbo water pump has always worked and the airbox, maf, and boot are well sealed. How could oil get there? Is any amount of oil at the inlet acceptable? Is any impeller movement of this type acceptable?

I need advice if I need to seek service for the turbo and hire a hitman for the vendor...just kidding on that last part.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:07 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A film of oil is acceptable for a stock turbo...a lot of the aftermarket bigger turbo's seem to be notorious for having more than a film...
Old 03-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

If the propeller moves up and down freeley then you need a new turbo or have your turbo rebuilt. Also check your pipes going into the intake J boot for any oil coming out of them. But most likely you will have to have your turbo rebuilt. I had the same situation. Cost $350 for my turbo to be rebuilt. The oil that gets into your intake boot comes from one of the pipes going into the intake. This is the big pipe going into the intake. This pipe is then connected to the crankcase breather, which if it becomes pressurized, it will dump it into your intake.

What i did was send my turbo in to be rebuilt, and then found out the problem about my crankcase. So I bought a Remote Crankcase breather which solves this oil problem.

Also, Did you resently change your oil? The oil that i was using was Valvoline Max life. Then i changed my oil to full synthetic and this really helped with my rings.

So I hope this helps youre situation.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:35 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh man, I am pulling my new turbo because of that same problem.

I have 3700 miles on a TO4E 60 trim #8 turbine. I installed it with a new rebuilt engine and the car has smoked ( blue oil )since first start up, thought it might just be the rings not seated. Smoke got a little worse untill Friday when I noticed the boost not building correctly and I had blown a intercooler hose off, oil went everywhere. Removed the intercooler and drained out 4.5 ounces of oil and could see what looks like 2 more ounces in the compressor housing and the impeller can be moved up and down.
I am down to the last bolt and it stripped on me, letting some JB Weld and allen wrench setup now.

This sux new parts going bad so quickly.

I hate to tell you bad news, but I think we have something in common. I hope not BUT...

I am getting to know all of these parts too well, don't even need notes or labled baggies anymore.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:48 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they do turn out to be a turbo problem, please post the supplier so other listers don't fall victim as well. I have plans for an upgrade for next year, and would like to know whose turbos are problematic. Thanks
Old 03-31-2003, 09:15 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just got a new to4e 2 weeks ago. I pulled it out of the box, felt the amount of radial play that it had, and sent it back the next day. I also went and checked a new to4e turbo my friend just got for his track car and it was the same way. He is also sending his back. I should be getting mine back today or tomorrow and I'll see if it looks any better. Maybe there is a bad batch of center sections?

Rob
Old 03-31-2003, 11:08 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Maybe there is a bad batch of center sections?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Might be? Who did you guy's buy from? I bought mine thru Majestic Turbo.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Brian Fugok
Intermediate

Hey guys, I appreciate all the feedback on this so far.
I bought it from Huntley Racing. As stated eariler the oil may be from the crankcase venting into the jboot, that is some good news. How do I resolve this?

I need to get more specific on allowable movement with the turbo shaft. With some pressure I can move it up and down a few .00's, I am guessing. I can also hear and feel slight 'cliks' when doing this.

Why are we paying for rebuilds on new components???
Old 03-31-2003, 11:42 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> I bought it from Huntley Racing </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I was told by Majestic that they sell to Huntley, so could be from the same place as mine.

Some oil in the intake is normal, depends on the condition of your rings as to how much blowby you will have.

I am installing a catch can from Lindsey Racing.

Not sure how much play is too much, I have the clicking noise when I move the wheel also.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just talked to Kevin at Majestic, most willing to help solve the problem.

Kevin asked me to call him when I get that last stubborn bolt out ( in the next few moments I hope )

I will post any info.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:04 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I need to get more specific on allowable movement with the turbo shaft. With some pressure I can move it up and down a few .00's </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">10 thousandths play per Majestic is good.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:26 PM
Brian Fugok
Intermediate

This list is great, I have been enlightened!

Some very useful sources off-line suggested that we run oil through the turbo before checking for play. I will try this tonight and see if I can measure with a guage.

Thanks for the contact...Kevin was very helpful. He reitterated that almost 10 thousandths was acceptable and always lubricate first! How did I forget that one!

Popular census with the oil is that is is comming from the crankcase. I have @200 miles on head rebuild and a few suggested that not everything may be seated. The oil may disappear as seating occurs or I can install something to 'catch' the oil.

Anyone have a ideas on an easy upgrade on the CC vent???
Old 03-31-2003, 09:40 PM
Porscheman101
Instructor

The thing is, when i installed my Lindseyracing catch can, I never got one drop of oil in it. And this was immediately after i reinstalled my rebuilt turbo, crankcase breather, and changed my oil to full synthetic. So, I now have no more oil in my intake or blowing into my turbo.

So overall, the crankcase breather looks great in the engine bay and also vents the crankcase to a remote container. However, @ $150.00 it can set you back a bit. I would definately recommend this to anyone with a oil problem in their intake.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:38 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who makes your turbo? (the center section). Turbonetics perhaps? Do you see a "T" anywhere on it?

Is it ballbearing or standard bearing?
Old 04-01-2003, 04:06 PM
Brian Fugok
Intermediate

The Garrett was "customized" by Huntley, before that I believe it came from Majestic. I never saw a "T" on it, I thought it was a Garrett center section. It has standard bearings.

After running oil through it last night the play on the shaft was significantly reduced. Yahoo!

Now I have to look at that Lindsey CC upgrade or a cheaper/compatible unit.

Quick Reply: Has this turbo gone bad?