M tune install.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onspeed
Should the pins circled below be linked together? As in, I can get a measurable resistance, ~20 ohm, when I put one lead on the jumper end (middle circle) and another on any of the pins circled.

Normal?
No. The top and bottom circle are connected. Why are you measuring there? The other end of the jumper is below the middle circle. Also, the picture is a little blurred but the solder joint on the middle circle looks odd. I would reflow it.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:47 PM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was checking continuity and making sure I didn't have some excess solder touching a neighboring trace. Looks weird because I partially desolder'ed it to make sure I didn't have some solder overlapping.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size is the coupler from the maf pipe to the turbo?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Zeff, that depends on what turbo you have. I have about every size coupler needed.
The K26 is a 2"inlet.
The K27 is a 2.75" inlet.
T04E is typically a 3.0" inlet.
GT stuff can be up to 4.0" inlet.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

In no means am I trying to hijack this post but I wanted to provide a few photos of the system installed under the hood. I was also one of the pre-release tester, so I am not 100% sure if I have the exact setup, but it looks like it. So, here are a few photos of my install.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supes6
Hmmm... well I guess I'll have to find another good spot, since I just ripped out my cycling valve wires. I have the whole harness out of the car, maybe I'll just extend this wire back to the dme plug on the cycling valve +12v pin.

Also, I just checked fitment of the maf pipe and the alternator is definitely in the way... how did you guys get it to fit in there?
That's what I did with my Vitesse install - I use a Tial 38mm, so the last time I had the intake off I just pulled CV and all the hoses. I tapped into the +12v there and it's worked great.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

You can also get it from the diag plug 12V+ if you already have your harness out of the car. You can tap into the wire, and not have to have a connection stuck into the top of the diag plug. I had already tapped my harness there when it was out and that is where I got the power for my M-Tune setup. That 12VDC source is also fuse with a 5amp fuse in the fuse panel. Not sure about the CV 12V connection. Obviously the wire length and connection on the harness that Rouge includes is designed to go to the CV connection. It can be easily modified.

Also, there will be those who have already cut the AFM plug. That connection can be purchased from JohnKaowood. Or at least he has a source for them. Just a thought.....

I Love my M-Tune setup. No other way to put it.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by jlturpin
In no means am I trying to hijack this post but I wanted to provide a few photos of the system installed under the hood. I was also one of the pre-release tester, so I am not 100% sure if I have the exact setup, but it looks like it. So, here are a few photos of my install.

Very clean looking.

I was ready to pull the trigger and upgrade to the M-Tune but a review of my PCA chapter's rulebook for Autocross showed that it would probably move me around in classes enough that, for now, I don't want the headache. Maybe next season.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
jlturpin
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments about the clean install. I just want to make this clear. The under hood portion of the install literally took me less than 10 minutes. It all just fits.

If you notice the wear on my new expansion tank, just above the recirculation valve, this was from another vendors MAF kit I had installed earlier. The new one fits as it should no rubbing, even with the slighlty larger valve. I am sure I could have modified and made the other kit accommodate my recirc valve, but I did not. This is just one of the small things that Rouge spent the time on making sure everything fit, without interference with stock components. This includes the way the filter/elbow follows the contour of the Expansion tank, and does not interfere with the headlight mechanism.

My only complaint, as everyone has to have one, and my OCD will show here. The clamp on the filter does not match the clamp on the elbow. The clamps that Rogue includes are very nice, but the filter comes with a clamp installed already. I am going to get Josh to send me clamp to match. So there is my big complaint.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:24 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish I had the funds for the M Tune. Looks great.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

My only complaint, as everyone has to have one, and my OCD will show here. The clamp on the filter does not match the clamp on the elbow. The clamps that Rogue includes are very nice, but the filter comes with a clamp installed already. I am going to get Josh to send me clamp to match. So there is my big complaint.
Oh, screw that! I'm not gonna order one then!!! LOL!!

Looks good!

Are there any issues with the MAF being so close to the turbo?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the comments about the clean install. I just want to make this clear. The under hood portion of the install literally took me less than 10 minutes. It all just fits.

If you notice the wear on my new expansion tank, just above the recirculation valve, this was from another vendors MAF kit I had installed earlier. The new one fits as it should no rubbing, even with the slighlty larger valve. I am sure I could have modified and made the other kit accommodate my recirc valve, but I did not. This is just one of the small things that Rouge spent the time on making sure everything fit, without interference with stock components. This includes the way the filter/elbow follows the contour of the Expansion tank, and does not interfere with the headlight mechanism.

my autothority MAF caused the diverter valve to rub on my new expansion tank too!
It looks like a nice setup.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am one that is waiting for my mtune kit. I dynoed in at 264rwhp last Monday. I have a k26/6 turbo, 4" exhaust, chipped and some other upgrades. I will by putting the Mtune on and a rebuilt upgraded k26/8 turbo. I am hoping to get between 310-330rwhp when done. And the wait is on. 3 weeks for turbo and a few more days for Mtune. Oh, then it has to be installed.
I hear it takes about 30minutes to install. Is that a realistic time for a somewhat mechanical person. How are the install directions. I need to be helped along with as much info as possible.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
I hear it takes about 30minutes to install. Is that a realistic time for a somewhat mechanical person. How are the install directions. I need to be helped along with as much info as possible.
If you're mechanically inclined, then 30 minutes is probably about right, maybe a little longer. The hard part (not really hard, more like just a pain in the butt) is the MAP sensor install. Pull back the foot board to get to the DME harness, find the appropriate wires, tap and solder, then run the wires out through the firewall to the engine bay where you can mount the sensor. There are a lot of wires under there, try not to go crosseyed as you search for the right wires.

Instructions are very straightforward. 3 wires to connect. Not difficult. Just slightly tedious.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I hate wiring in this car. No room for anything. But, still only a 12v system and test lights work great.

Quick Reply: M tune install.