Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fixed vacuum leaks and now AFR's are weird

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
The gauge will only cofirm if you 3BAR FPR is in fact 3bar, as some are off by 2-5psi one way or the other.
Ok, so, unless I'm retarded, that goes in the "nice to have, but not imperative" category?

Originally Posted by toddk911
I would say that is step 5 or 6. Preceeding steps being clean maf, new cap, rotor and msd coil. All of those are failry inexpensive and failry easy to change out. The cap is a PITA to get back on sometimes though! lol

The fact that your issue is a richness/back fire issue (and it isn't that big of an issue) makes me feel more certain your ignition system is leaving some un burnt fuel and then the exhaust takes care of it; backfires. Also, while you have the electrical spray out go ahead and clean all your electrical connections.

Do you get backfires in between wot shifts? 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th?
I don't know how many curse words I've invented in the process of putting the cap back on... I HATE that bottom screw-thingy!

But yeah, I think the cap/rotor/coil thing will have to happen in the very near future. Ever since I looked at them last, I haven't been able to completely dismiss them as potential sources of my problems.

As for electrical cleaner, I have a can of this stuff:

But I'm hesitant to use it on the MAF... and only because it doesn't say "MAF Cleaner" on it... what do you think?

As for backfires between shifts at WOT, I'm not so sure... I don't get a lot of chances (read un-patrolled roads) to do a lot of hard driving I'll have to see if I can get away with a good pull tomorrow and get back to you.

Originally Posted by schip43
PS... No guy the bar has been set pretty high for ignorance, I don't think anyone is gonna beat "How do I change my oil filter!"

But he did get it done and was smart enough to ask!
I firmly believe that there are no dumb questions... but people push it sometimes. Once, when I worked at an IT Helpdesk, a lady handed a corded mouse and told that the batteries were dead and that she'd really rather have one with a shorter antenna...

Originally Posted by blown 944
One idea that hasn't been mentioned is to check the tps adjustment or function. It is used for an idle switch, fuel cut, part throttle mapping etc. It may not be adjusted and that would cause a rich condition when lifting the throttle. Just a thought
No, that's a good point. I checked it when I had the intake manifold off to replace the vacuum hoses/lines, but there is always a possibility it got bumped just a bit or something during the re-installation of the manifold. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:57 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I helped oil filter guy without giving him grife but still on this board that was a new one! I'd be hesitant to use that. I bought some throttle body spray at the auto store or hell Goggle MAf cleaner and see what shows up!
Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schip43
I helped oil filter guy without giving him grife but still on this board that was a new one! I'd be hesitant to use that. I bought some throttle body spray at the auto store or hell Goggle MAf cleaner and see what shows up!
yeah, I'll grab some MAF cleaner tomorrow... I didn't today, because I knew I had a can of it on the shelf... and I was right, I had a can... without anything in it... on the shelf.

I just have that other stuff, and I just wanted to hear someone other than the voice in my head to tell me that it wasn't a good idea. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:48 PM
running_cold924
Racer

x2 on tps check and clean your grounds...
Old 06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

ok, so, I cleaned my MAF, checked my TPS adjustment and inspected, cleaned and dielectric greased my grounds. The TPS was perfectly adjusted, so I guess testing for function is all that's left there. The grounds looked fine, but I went though them anyway. After cleaning/greasing my grounds, I metered several spots between the battery, engine, and chassis and there is no more than 1/2 ohm between any two points. The MAF was fairly dirty though.

So, now that it's cleaned, my AFR's are better... but still not exactly where I think they should be. They still wander around a bit at warm idle, and it still goes rich at very light throttle, and still backfires sometimes on shifts during normal driving. In the time I was driving it, the hesitation on WOT seems to be gone, but I can't say for sure, because it was never consistent before, just occasional.

As for the earlier question as to whether or not it backfires on WOT shifts... No, not that I can tell. I did several WOT pulls to redline and then WOT immediately after the shift, and it never backfired.

So, I guess the next step is to get the cap/rotor/coil replaced...

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:30 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Originally Posted by Crackership
ok, so, I cleaned my MAF, checked my TPS adjustment and inspected, cleaned and dielectric greased my grounds. The TPS was perfectly adjusted, so I guess testing for function is all that's left there. The grounds looked fine, but I went though them anyway. After cleaning/greasing my grounds, I metered several spots between the battery, engine, and chassis and there is no more than 1/2 ohm between any two points. The MAF was fairly dirty though.

So, now that it's cleaned, my AFR's are better... but still not exactly where I think they should be. They still wander around a bit at warm idle, and it still goes rich at very light throttle, and still backfires sometimes on shifts during normal driving. In the time I was driving it, the hesitation on WOT seems to be gone, but I can't say for sure, because it was never consistent before, just occasional.

As for the earlier question as to whether or not it backfires on WOT shifts... No, not that I can tell. I did several WOT pulls to redline and then WOT immediately after the shift, and it never backfired.

So, I guess the next step is to get the cap/rotor/coil replaced...

Any other thoughts?
same here man. mine do just that. i have noticed after these hot days and the sun goes down, the moisture in the air makes for some perfect a/f ratios and the car really comes alive. on hot humid days, forget it. they can do some crazy stuff...i mean it runs good, but not like it does at night.

i did gap my ngk plugs at .026 and replaced the coil with a MSD unit. nice magnacore wires too.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:32 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here is what I would do next. Get a SMT6 or SMT8 or equivalent tuning device and start recording what is going on throughout the RPM range vs AFR and boost. Without that info, everyone is guessing.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an original coil as well, and have been thinking I probably need this upgrade for the track. For those that have installed an MSD coil, could you please provide the part number you used? Will the same part work for most all 951's, or are there multiple considerations in selecting the right coil? Mine is a mostly stock OEM 2.5L 26/6, with Vitesse MAF/chip, 3bar FPR, 3" exhaust from the downpipe back.

EDIT: Forget the MSD Coil upgrade. I've been doing research and have yet to find any evidence that just upgrading the coil is any better than a properly functioning stock coil (on a standard engine like mine with all other ignition parts stock). Also, there are some considerations I don't want to deal with - such as mounting (the MSD coil is smaller than stock), the ballast resistor (many say it's not needed, but then you run the risk of burning out the driver in the DME), and possibly burning up the rotor prematurely. To me, it seems like an ignition upgrade is all-or-nothing - convert to a good wasted spark setup or just keep your stock ignition components in good working order.

Interesting thread though, because I have a CEP fuel rail with adjustable regulator and gauge sitting in a box ready to install - just won't have time to install this for quite a while. I haven't thought about feeding the fuel pressure to a gauge inside the car, but after reading this it's got me thinking that I'd really like to do that and it looks like I should now that I'll have a non-stock part managing my FP.

Last edited by jmj951; 06-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Honestly, it sounds like you have normal a/f blips here and there and no real worries. Especially no worries beyond cap, rotor and maybe coil.

And yes, from warm day to cool day these cars, like most turbos, are night and day.

I remember a quote from a Porsche race driver in the 70's saying in regards to turbo for the track "even when the sun peaks out from the clouds, we need to change the set up" lol

Quick Reply: Fixed vacuum leaks and now AFR's are weird