Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Torque Tube swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the shifters and all that has to come off? Also it looks like your rear suspension is all intact. Did you not drop that to get the torquetube out?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Drop the tranny out.
Remove the shift lever
Remove the exhaust and exhaust hangers
Place jack stands under the brake rotors and support them
Remove the 4 bolts on the thin crossmember in front of the torsion carrier and set aside
Remove the lower shock bolts (2)
Remove the 4 torque tube bolts at the bellhousing
Remove the long torsion carrier bolts (2) holding the front mount to the body
Remove the (4) bolts on the upper torsion carrier
Place a jack under the torque tube somewhere to support it.

Place a 2nd jack under the center of the torsion carrier and support it, use a pry bar to work the front mounts out of the body while slowly letting down the jack. The rear part will stay supported on the jackstands which are under the rotors, essentially pivoting the torsion carrier as you lower the front section.

Remove torque tube. Replace torque tube. Jack torsion carrier back up in to place and reinstall everything else.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:45 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Drop the tranny out.
Remove the shift lever
Remove the exhaust and exhaust hangers
Place jack stands under the brake rotors and support them
Remove the 4 bolts on the thin crossmember in front of the torsion carrier and set aside
Remove the lower shock bolts (2)
Remove the 4 torque tube bolts at the bellhousing
Remove the long torsion carrier bolts (2) holding the front mount to the body
Remove the (4) bolts on the upper torsion carrier
Place a jack under the torque tube somewhere to support it.

Place a 2nd jack under the center of the torsion carrier and support it, use a pry bar to work the front mounts out of the body while slowly letting down the jack. The rear part will stay supported on the jackstands which are under the rotors, essentially pivoting the torsion carrier as you lower the front section.

Remove torque tube. Replace torque tube. Jack torsion carrier back up in to place and reinstall everything else.
If I did this, it would be the biggest/hardest project I have ever done. Not sure what all the tools are that are required. I used to not get worried about taking on projects, but this would most likely take me a long *** time to do.

I have taken motorcycle engines out of bikes and stuff like that, but nothing of this magnitude. As much as I don't want to be "that guy" cause up til this point I never have. Because somehow I have always managed to fix/or have someone else fix the issue for me (Karl) I got through it. This project seems like quite the undertaking.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Did you and Cory struggle when you swapped your tranny? It's no harder tha that, just a few more steps doing a lot of the same types of things.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's just one bolt at a time! Not unmanageable!

Really should only need to be done once too! If you rebuild it, it should last another 100k+
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Don’t Give UP… Push ON!

I’ve done the torque tube twice on my car, actually I’ve done the clutch, oil pan gasket and rear main seal each twice without physical help. I don’t ask for help simply because I’m not intimidated by the process. I do ask questions of friends and seek help through this forum, but prefer to figure things out myself. I’m sure there is someone experienced in your area that can help.

These are all time consuming tedious jobs, but not impossible. Use the people here for specific pointers, methods and tools required.

Take your time and do things in stages. I always write out a procedure list adding required tools and parts for each stage.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
They switched mid year from the one piece to the two piece system in 86, so it is a toss up on those cars as to which you have. After 86, 2 piece was standard.
My parts car was a late '86 and my car is an early '87, both have 1pc crossover pipes. From what I could find, they didn't change them until mid-year '87 (separated by VIN).
Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I am all but positive that the two piece crossover that came on an '86 I owned a while back came from the factory. Its possible that someone prior to me changed it out, but it was a stock clutch inside iside it and it didn't look like it had been messed with.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I am all but positive that the two piece crossover that came on an '86 I owned a while back came from the factory. Its possible that someone prior to me changed it out, but it was a stock clutch inside iside it and it didn't look like it had been messed with.
I've seen just as many 86's with the two piece crossover pipe as i have with the one piece as well. I have never seen an 87 with a one piece.

Quick Reply: Torque Tube swap