Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

big boy steps, aka a long time w/o a post but a lot is happening (86 951 rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 11:41 PM
incomplete
Racer

Default big boy steps, aka a long time w/o a post but a lot is happening (86 951 rebuild)

hey all! i haven't posted in a few months, but i've recently been taking advantage of my sabbatical and cranking out some work! the car is in the garage, up on blocks, oil pan out and only three or so weeks away from firing up!

it's been a lot of work...

here's a quick list of what's been done... i've gotten enough done that there are too many pictures and details to go in to, so i'll give a quick overview and then a link to where in my picasa album to start.

* i cut back on my 'refinishing' goals, but whatever's painted is done and clear-coated
* every part i've removed or touched has been cleaned thoroughly
* seats are out and hood is off!
* the wiring harness needs two solders and two new plugs (for the oil pressure sensor) and then it's in the car
* front suspension and hubs rebuilt w/shocks, springs, wheel bearings and all new delrin and poly bushings. caster blocks are new 968 mobels. this will soon include new sway bushings all around, and a 968 front sway
* every coolant seal on the top of the engine has been replaces, along w/hoses and a refurbished coolant hard pipe
* refinished cam cover is on
* refinished the intake manifold and rebuilt the throttle body
* new "used" exhaust headers are in, as well as the short pipe on my 2-piece lindsey pipe
* steering rebuilt w/refurbished rack, ball joints, boots (control arm ball joints were in great shape)
* brake system overhaul nearly done (brake booster stripped to bare metal and repainted, all calipers cleaned, new pads + rotors, stainless steel lines. problems: passenger rear brake nut so rusted it stripped w/a flare nut wrench, mis-matched rear calipers (same basic size and probably not a problem), driver's rear rotor rubbing against the caliper and binding)
* three piece crossmember installed (hanging the engine was easy!)
* oil pan out and ready for cleaning/welding in the baffle. also, new rod nut, pan seal, and crank scraper will be going in
* wastegate cut open and ready for installing the new spring

the "recent" pics start here: https://picasaweb.google.com/incompl...27138452663154

next up:

* get the car fired up! i'm guessing three weeks... after the oil pan area, hook up the computers and wiring harness, run the silicon vacuum lines, and get the new (original) air box installed w/the rest of the plumbing and fuel stuff.
* my shop is doing the wideband install and all of the rear bushings
* alignment and basic tuning

the end is in sight... anyone have a decent driver's side seat in the bay area?
Old 05-30-2011 | 11:48 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

I like the cam cover!
Old 05-30-2011 | 11:59 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I like the cam cover!
thanks! it was a lot of work but i think the finished product looks great.
Old 05-31-2011 | 12:20 AM
TheLlamaGod
Instructor

wow a lot of work.....
i wish i had the time and knowledge to do all that.
someday.... haha
Old 05-31-2011 | 09:04 AM
carlege
Drifting

nice job shane
Old 05-31-2011 | 10:57 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the pics, Shane! Lots of good stuff going on!
Old 06-03-2011 | 06:36 PM
incomplete
Racer

thanks all! it's a project and a half, that's for sure.

since i posted, i've been ripping out the A/C system (prepping for a a/c delete bracket install), finishing up the rear brakes, putting back together the vacuum/coolant/etc system by the turbo, and doing the rod bearings (two done, two to go).

i got my teflon scraper in the mail, and my pan and oil pickup back from my mechanic where they were cleaned had the baffle and pickup ring welded on. thankfully my original baffle came out w/o a hitch, and i replaced the old hex-heads with new ones when putting it back together.

one problem i have is that on one of my rear calipers, the pad refuses to slide in to it's slot on the inside pocket. both pads fit perfectly in the outside pocket, so it's a matter of the shims on the inside pocket. sigh. this is the third time after thinking i was done w/that side that i'll have had to take the caliper off for some random reason.

still a lot of work to be done...
Old 06-05-2011 | 04:04 AM
incomplete
Racer

all right, today:

* all rod bearings in, greased and new nuts torqued down
* rear konis installed
* rear sway bar dropped, waiting for bushings in the mail (the ONE thing i forgot to order)
* rear drop links in

the rest of the pics start here

Quick Reply: big boy steps, aka a long time w/o a post but a lot is happening (86 951 rebuild)