Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A- Arm effect corner balance

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011 | 12:59 PM
djtalon
Intermediate

Default A- Arm effect corner balance

I replaced one of my A-Arms die to damage. would that mean i need to get the car corner balanced again?

car is an 1989 944 turbo with firehawk suspension

thanks
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:24 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

If you replaced it with Lead... certainly.

Aligned?- probably. Corner-balanced, -I shouldn't expect so, but I'm not a doctor, -I just play one on the internet.
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:25 PM
jerome951
Drifting

I don't know if the firehawk strut is adjustable for ride height, but if it is, your corner weights should only change if you adjust the ride height. If you simply disconnected the strut from the spindle you shouldn't need to corner balance again.
Old 06-03-2011 | 01:47 PM
djtalon
Intermediate

the suspension is fully adjustable. The struts front and back as well as the swaybars

dave
Old 06-03-2011 | 02:46 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

You should not need to do anything. The A Arm is connected at 3 points, excluding the sway bar. The only thing you might possibly mess up would be the Castor but that is not a real big issue. Simply unattach the sway bar from the A Arm, remove the pinch bolt at the spindle / ball jopint connection first as you made need a mallet to persuade the ball joint to come out. Mark the eccentric bolt, remove the rear mount, remove the bolt in front and the assembly should fall out in your hands. reverse the process putting it back on. No alignment really necessary as you haven't messed with any of the settings. No need to re-corner balance as again you have not messed with anything that affects ride height.

Takes about 1/2 hour if you have everything you need, an hour or so if beer is involved.
Old 06-05-2011 | 05:08 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rlm328
You should not need to do anything. The A Arm is connected at 3 points, excluding the sway bar. The only thing you might possibly mess up would be the Castor but that is not a real big issue. Simply unattach the sway bar from the A Arm, remove the pinch bolt at the spindle / ball jopint connection first as you made need a mallet to persuade the ball joint to come out. Mark the eccentric bolt, remove the rear mount, remove the bolt in front and the assembly should fall out in your hands. reverse the process putting it back on. No alignment really necessary as you haven't messed with any of the settings. No need to re-corner balance as again you have not messed with anything that affects ride height.

Takes about 1/2 hour if you have everything you need, an hour or so if beer is involved.
Good reply - might be worth eyeballing toe quickly though, just to be sure. Maybe the inner bush has taken a "set".

Like the wheels!

Quick Reply: A- Arm effect corner balance