Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

5 Butterfly manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:06 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe having both allowed them to do back-to-back comparisons while driving. They'd lock the stock 5th wide open and use the 4 butterflies to control the air flow & vise-versa.

This is one thing I've always liked about all the BMW M3 motors.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:14 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tony G, if you do decide to fit that "?", make sure you don't have a see thro" bonnet.

I have to admit that the reason they were so uptight yesterday was that I posted this news. I was sworn to secrecy the first time I saw this manifold, and I promptly went and told the whole world. I have to remember to keep my big mouth shut. Its brand new and still under development. As I alraedy posted something, today they told me a little more, but its under wraps from now on. What I was told today, is that all five butterflies are used at the same time, and the 5th is not in the manifold or in the stock location. I got no further info. So just what are they doing?

Danno, anyone?

Simon
Old 03-28-2003, 04:03 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't seen the item in question, but I'm looking at the S2/968 manifold. Also compared to some Honda manifolds as well. There's definitely performance gaines to be had as far as improvememts in low-end torque on 4v engines and high-end flow/HP in 2v engines with variable intake volumes and velocities. I don't have any more info on the 5th butterfly than M42racer to really figure out what it does.

The definite answer would come from answering this question:

"Does this 5th butterfly operate in sync. with the other 4? Or does it operate independently?"

The BMW electronic throttle system has got to be the most sophisticated system out there. Combine this with a smart computer algorithm and you've got a wasteless traction-control system. BMW also did away with throttle-bodies altogether and modulates air-flow with valve-timing and lift...
Old 03-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Dead - 951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybee what seems to be extra TB's are actually valves for a dual length runner design. Maybee.

Stephen
Old 03-28-2003, 06:35 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...could this be a resonance chamber control to improve high-rpm harmonics?

Quick Reply: 5 Butterfly manifold