The hydraulic lifters...ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 06:10 AM
nik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The hydraulic lifters...ticking

Hi,
I'm going crazy...sometimes when I start my 951 '90 it sounds lika a tractor for a few minutes. It doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold. I think the "sound" comes from the hydraulic lifters. It appeared for the first time last year but have been gone until last week when I started up the car for a ride. I ran with Castrol RS 0W40 last year but I switched to Motul 15W50 for a month ago. The car ran like a clock after I switched the oil so it can't be that...

The car works fine dispite the sound, both at idle and boost.

Any idea's?
Old 07-11-2002, 06:39 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hejssan Nik,
Lifters (made by INA) are usually very good and they last very long time.Size of these lifters are very big, comparing to the ones found some other four banger engines.I would avoid "thin oil" in 951.The engine was desinged before syntehtic oils.I have tested 0W40 oils and had similar symptons as you are having with your your car.Also oil consumption was bigger with syntehtic.I changed back to mineral based Mobil 10W40 and have had silent lifters ever since.I am running the original lifters with over 200K km's on them.Are you sure if it is noisy lifters.My transmission is little bit noisy when engine/transmission is cold.

Olli,
'88 951
Old 07-11-2002, 10:00 AM
nik
Intermediate

Terve Olli!

Kyllä minä osaan soume...vähä

I know the 0W40 was a big misstake but I'm running with 15w50 synthetic now, that should work. I know that this is a common problem/phenomena with 951...God knows why!?
Old 07-11-2002, 12:55 PM
christian
Racer

Talking

You need something to keep the oil in place. I am running Lukas heavy duty oil stabilizer with very good results. Give it a try.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:04 PM
RAD951
Racer

I thought I was the only person that uses that Lucas Oil Stabilizer. That stuff is great. I also use Lucas power steering fluid, Tranny oil, and injector cleaner.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:45 AM
nik
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by christian:
<strong>You need something to keep the oil in place. I am running Lukas heavy duty oil stabilizer with very good results. Give it a try.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So what you are saying is that the oil doesn't stay in the camhousing when you turn the engine off and to help the oil maintain there this is solved with Lukas oil stabilizer.

I think that's the case, it takes some time for the oil to be pumped up to the camhouse/lifters BUT shouldn't this just take a couple of seconds!? Maybe the oilpumps capacity isn't so good anymore..or could there be anything that stops the oil from being pumped up to the lifters...some kind of junk?
Old 08-13-2002, 05:43 AM
nik
Intermediate

I've spoke to a mechanic who claimed that there is a vavle in the head that should stop the oil from leaving the head/cam housing (when the engine is turned off). Does anyone know anything about this function?

It takes about 3-4 seconds before I gett full oil preasure, it took one second earlier. Can it be the oil (Motul 15W50)? Or may some lifters be worn?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:04 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hej Nik,

haven't heard of such a valve.Most oil filters have it, but 951 head not sure about it.15W50 should be ok, i run 15W50 also.Lifters are usually bullet broof and can handle at least 300K KM's without a problem.How many KM's you have at the moment ?

MVH,
Olli
Old 08-13-2002, 08:19 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, 15/50 synthetic and a noisy head - you might want to try something a little lower to get the oil up there a little faster.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:43 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
There is an oil relief valve in the head, but I am not sure that it will prevent the oil from running out of the cam housing.

Dirty lifters can make noise on startup. Before you change your oil next time, run 1/2 quart of Rislone in it for about 10 minutes. This will help clean things out and make it ready for fesh oil. I have had great results with it.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:29 AM
R.B.
Instructor

If you are driving the car regularly the lifters should not be making any noise. The lifter retains the oil inside for quite a long time. You can check them easily enough once they are out of the cam housing. Just push on the center "button" of the lifter (with your finger or a wood/plastic stick NOT metal) if you can push the "button" in, your lifter is worn out.

Good luck!

R.B.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by R.B.:
<strong>If you are driving the car regularly the lifters should not be making any noise. The lifter retains the oil inside for quite a long time. You can check them easily enough once they are out of the cam housing. Just push on the center "button" of the lifter (with your finger or a wood/plastic stick NOT metal) if you can push the "button" in, your lifter is worn out.

Good luck!

R.B.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just make sure you do that test while the lifter is sumerge in oil(brother-in-law is a mechanical engineer and when he saw this post got a book out on the design and test for these things).

Just his two cents...
Old 08-13-2002, 11:55 AM
nik
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Olli Snellman:
<strong>Hej Nik,

haven't heard of such a valve.Most oil filters have it, but 951 head not sure about it.15W50 should be ok, i run 15W50 also.Lifters are usually bullet broof and can handle at least 300K KM's without a problem.How many KM's you have at the moment ?

MVH,
Olli</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hej Olli!

My car is a '90 with 130 K km on it, they shouldn't be worn out yet.
Where in Finland do you live? I have relative's in Tampere.

Mvh. Niclas
Old 08-13-2002, 12:00 PM
nik
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by R.B.:
<strong>If you are driving the car regularly the lifters should not be making any noise. The lifter retains the oil inside for quite a long time. You can check them easily enough once they are out of the cam housing. Just push on the center "button" of the lifter (with your finger or a wood/plastic stick NOT metal) if you can push the "button" in, your lifter is worn out.

Good luck!

R.B.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you can push the button and the lifter is worn out...is that equal to noisy lifters?

I should have tried it when i replaced the head gasket but maybe I'll take time to remove the camhousing during the winter. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-13-2002, 12:07 PM
nik
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Jaime Diaz:
<strong>

Just make sure you do that test while the lifter is sumerge in oil(brother-in-law is a mechanical engineer and when he saw this post got a book out on the design and test for these things).

Just his two cents...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why should it make any difference if I test this with the lifter filled with oil or not? I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying but I guess it was for me to get a book about the design and make some tests myself...

BR Niclas

Quick Reply: The hydraulic lifters...ticking