Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Farking rear-view mirror! -Anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:14 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Farking rear-view mirror! -Anyone got one?

Halfway home last night, the rear view mirror started bouncing up and down by itself... -Most off-putting!

Some investigation reveals that the 'dimming' mechanism has suddenly failed, and instead of 'clicking' between the two extremes when the lever is moved, now both the lever and the mirror flop freely around.

Anyone have one? -I assume that it's not actually BONDED to the windshield, but just screws to a mount which is bonded to the windshield, or something like that? -I haven't looked that deeply yet.

Keith
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The joint between the mirror and dimmer tab is just like the one used on our center console hinge. From what I've read, the mirror cannot be disassembled, or at least no one has done it successfully yet.
You can loosen the sec screw and remove the mirror assembly from the mount that's bonded to the windshield. With the mirror off the car, you can line the mirror and tab back up, so that it's either in day or night mode, but you have to leave it in that position.
Only permanent fix, right now, is to replace the mirror.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No set screw on either of mine, they just sit in the mount... push UP at the base where it is attached to the windscreen, and either it will come out of the mount, or the mount will pop off the windscreen...
Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, there really is nothing special about the mirror itself.

Mine was missing when I bought my car. Installed one from a 1998 Jeep Wrangler that I had laying around. Looks factory.

EDIT:

Here is the only picture I could find with the Jeep mirror visable. You can probably find any mirror cheap or free that will work at a junk yard.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:11 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah., thanks fortysixandtwo. -that explains the sudden failure. (Florida intense summer heat won't have helped anything, I'm certain.

I'll look at the mount and see what might fit, if I can't find a replacement OEM mirror. -Hey, maybe a VW one will fit? -That line of reasoning worked for the visor clips after all!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got one, PM sent.

Quick Reply: Farking rear-view mirror! -Anyone got one?