Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Help w/strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 12:12 AM
Knallrot951
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Need Help w/strange noise

I have a whine type of noise comming from the location of the cycling valve area. It is very pronunced when you shutoff the motor. It lasts for about 5-7 seconds.. It is slightly noticeable at startup then seems to go away under normal or hard driving. I have not noticed any loss in power. This just started yesterday. I am going in for a service this week and would really like to have a idea of what might be the problem/remedy... I will start checking all the pressure lines and tighten down the hoses etc. I hope we can shed light on this.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:26 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

I'm still learning my locations...I just noticed a HORRIBLE high pitched whine, seems to be coming from the firewall side of the intake manifold, or nearby...would this be comparable to the CV location you reference in your post? It goes away while driving, but comes back at idle...I know it didn't do this when I first drove the car...my first thought was a bearing whine, but it was non-dependant on rpms...though it does cut out at first throttle even at a standstill...I checked all visible vacuum lines, but it seems like it's coming from below...did you ever have luck solving this problem?

Jason
Old 08-03-2002, 01:17 AM
Knallrot951
Intermediate

Sorry to not get back to you on this, It turns out it is the idle actuator. Little blue thing at firewall area behind the oil cap.

I have another problem which I think is the heater valve, seems to want to stay open and has a low hiss type sound in the cabin, near the passenger footwell. I will post when I get this fix done..
Old 08-03-2002, 01:33 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

No problem...was it something you had to repair (i.e. vacuum line issue etc) or replace completely? If you replaced it, where did you source the replacement parts?

Thanks in advance, this noise is driving me up a wall!

Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 12:41 AM
Knallrot951
Intermediate

I replaced the blue/black idle actuator, My mechanic had an extra one laying around, so it fixed that issue. If you have the motor running and you feel a vibration from it signals a no longer working correctly actuator. It is similar to the blow off valve in how it works. I guess it regulates how much vac is needed. As for the leak sound from the passenger footwell area, that is still under investigation. I hope to look into that tomorrow. If any one has had that problem/fix please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-04-2002, 12:43 AM
Knallrot951
Intermediate

Jason,

What part od S. Fla are you in, I used to live in Tampa area.
Old 08-04-2002, 01:53 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

I'm in Pompano Beach - Fort Lauderdale area. I think I may have found the source of my noise...as it turns out, somehow the PO broke the T fitting on the brake booster line, and the whole T portion is gone, so it just looks like a regular connector fitting with 2 ends, and the whole bottom with the check valve is gone completely. The real problem is that the hole is on the bottom, and would never have been noticeable without the help of a fellow rennlister who sent me a picture of his firewall (Thanks Matt!) so that I could see what I was missing...I think this hole is the source of the noise, the reason I thought the brakes were bad, and the place where my stray vacuum line goes, so now I just have to track down a new part and I'll verify whether that was the real issue...I at least know it'll correct the brakes, and probably let me boost a little quicker since I'll eliminate a major leak (the hole where the T was is like 1/4" across)

Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 02:50 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's interesting Pompano Beach is where my car was originally delivered (I have the sticker). The dealership was Prestige Imports. Interesting!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:21 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Funny, I had to bring mine down from Arkansas ;o)
I'm not sure about Prestige...I can only assume that either they got bought out by Champion, or closed down that particular facilty (there's still a Prestige in Miami, but they're only Lambo, Lotus, and Audi authorized)

Jason
Old 08-05-2002, 12:54 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

THat blue/black valve is just a one way check valve, its for the vacuum canaster. You can get a replacement from the local pet store, just ask them for a check valve. Infact, some electronic boost controlers sell the same check val;ves that are found in the per stores with their vacuum line assembly.

As for the hissing in the passenger foot area, along with the heater staying on, it could be two seperate issues.

The main fault, and the one that keeps the heater going is a broken clip that holds a control wire. It is found in the drivers side right foot area, about 3/4 the way up, the center consol, you might have to remove a black plastic cover to get to it. I would have to say, about everyone on this list that has had the dreaded heater constant mode, found this to be the culprit.

As for the hissing in the passenger area, look for the KLR line, its attached to the KLR behind the carpet in the passenger footwell, behind the wooden panel. Check to see that its not cracked or loose. Its a hrad plastic boost line that comes in from the intake manifold.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:43 PM
Knallrot951
Intermediate

Question

Update..

I have located the source of the "hiss" described in the previous threads, It is comming from the line going into/from one of the vacuum solenoid valves. If I pinch the line the hiss stops. I would have to speculate that the culprit would be the valve. I have heard the ticking type sound, like it turning on/off caused by going over bumps... prob loose screw causing a loss of ground. This on and off every blue moon, This may have caused the valve to go bad.
Any one know how $$ this valve goes for, and if I should look for a second possible reason for the "hiss" other than the valve... Thanks for all the help so far

Quick Reply: Need Help w/strange noise