Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

off topic, just sharing... changed my radiator.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default off topic, just sharing... changed my radiator.

Hey all, I just wanted to share this.
I'm not a mechanic, but I decided to put my fear away (of braking something) and start doing a little a bit of work myself on my car to save some money and yes, the experience.

So I've changed my radiator this weekend.... 6 hour job : )

That haynes manual looks like it explains the how to pretty good... but for a n/a.

The toughest part was to get the old radiator out of there. Lots and lots of hoses in the way, specially that intercooler hose under the car almost touching the radiator, man that thing is in the way

After I finished installing, putting new fluid and bleeding, I went for a solid ride to the store. Everything looked ok, until I parked to go in a store for 25min.
When I stepped out the store and saw my car.... there was a green lake under it

My tank was almost empty, and I did the decision to drive the car back home (10min, drove really slow).

Anyway, I found the problem tonight (I think), 1 or 2 hoses where not tighten enough.

It's funny because I had the car running for at least 1/2 hour before going to the store and nothing was dripping. Could it be that when the engine and cooling fluid is hot that it expends even more the hoses causing this?

Just wanted to share... with a small question

cheers
Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Basically when the car is at operating temp it pressurizes the cooling system. If something is tight but not quite enough the fluid will push thru until it gets a path. Once its got the path it'll keep going. Also make sure the system is completely bled so there is no air in there. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Oh and congrats! I did my radiator a while back. Did you take it out the bottom or the top? Took me 3.5 hours but I had done it before.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way to go! I had to take my radiator out soon after I got the car, I have done radiators before but they really buried it on the 951. It comes out a lot easier than you would think at first with all that crap in the way.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Scott H
Way to go! I had to take my radiator out soon after I got the car, I have done radiators before but they really buried it on the 951. It comes out a lot easier than you would think at first with all that crap in the way.
Removed both fans and radiator from the top. Again, that Intercooler hose at the bottom is really in the way. I didn't want to disconnect it.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

my next project in about 3 weeks in changing my wastegate (with a bit of research on ''how to''),
and maybe, maybe, ($$$) this summer a new turbo. I already have John's MAF kit installed with the 83lbs injectors.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

next weekend (hopefully) I'm replacing my turbo, replacing the oil pan gasket, doing rod bearings and various other oiling mods so I can take it to the track without having it eat itself, and so it'll stop leaking oil on the exhaust... Projects are fun.

Eric, you're aware of Clarks garage? it's in my opinion better than Haynes, and more turbo specific.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

What is the "intercooler hose under the car"?
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 AM
eric951turbo
Burning Brakes

did some research and looks like it was the oil cooler hose, not the intercooler, that was in the way to remove the radiator.

Would it been a problem if I had disconnect it?

Thanks, I'm aware of Clarks garage, I also think its better than Haynes manual for turbo instructions. I just need some pictures sometimes

Good luck with turbo installation.

Last edited by eric951turbo; 09-03-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If disconnected it would have spilled a little bit of oil on the ground, but not much.

I replaced the rad last week and didn't need to disconnect it, but I had taken the oil cooler off its two mounts to be able to move the hard line and get clearance for the fans which I took out from below.
I took the rad out from above.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone pull the radiator out from below?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Anyone pull the radiator out from below?
*scratches head*

*raises hand*

Pretty sure I did mine from the bottom. Wanted to do it from the top to avoid laying on the ground but IIRC it wound up just being easier from underneath.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by eric951turbo
my next project in about 3 weeks in changing my wastegate (with a bit of research on ''how to''),
and maybe, maybe, ($$$) this summer a new turbo. I already have John's MAF kit installed with the 83lbs injectors.
Wastegate isn't too bad. Easier than a radiator IMO.

Turbo sucks though the first time you do it.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
*scratches head*

*raises hand*

Pretty sure I did mine from the bottom. Wanted to do it from the top to avoid laying on the ground but IIRC it wound up just being easier from underneath.
I have a lift, and with the batwing off, noticed there is a tray/bracket that goes under the radiator that has bolts on either side. Seems like undoing that will let it slide right down.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I have a lift, and with the batwing off, noticed there is a tray/bracket that goes under the radiator that has bolts on either side. Seems like undoing that will let it slide right down.
Nope. radiator has to be out for that bracket to come out. I had a friend catch his on a parking block and bend it, pushed the radiator towards the rear of the car, killing the lower radiator hose.

not knowing the radiator had to be out, we were in for disappointment when changing it.

Quick Reply: off topic, just sharing... changed my radiator.