Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

new header coming - question about replacement exhaust studs

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:01 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post new header coming - question about replacement exhaust studs

Talked to TurboTim - he said there's a part available @ the toyota dealers w/ the same thread pitch etc as our exhaust studs, but that they have some sort of star-head on them to make it easier to remove them. I'm not getting my new header in time for the installation of the motor, so he suggested these to aid in removing hte old header when the new one arrives.

anyone heard of this / have thoughts / suggestions, or know part numbers or specs to aid me when I go to the toyota dealer?

thanks!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:15 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, it's an 5mm allen-key hole in the tip of the exhaust-stud. Yank out one of exhaust-studs with vice-grips and go down to your Toyota dealer and get one that's similar.

Then remove the rest of the studs from the head. Install your headers and put in the new studs with an allen-key. Put header washers and nuts back on and torque to specs.

This is the prefered way rather than using bolts to attach the headers. That's because there's no chance of stripping the threads in the block; the studs are already inserted when you do the final torquing.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:59 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thx danno!

Quick Reply: new header coming - question about replacement exhaust studs