Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best Bang for the Buck 951 upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mention of the turbo is great, but if you have a $1500 budget, you could easily spend nearly all of that just getting the turbo installed. That is a LOT of labor work to install a turbo. Then you would need dyno time and someone custom burning chips which would run you several hundred more. Probably not a route you could easily take.

There often isn't just a route of "plug and play" without any tuning for most things.

I currently have the APE Stage II chips with a manual boost controller, aftermarket boost gauge, and a Lindsey Stage I intercooler along with a cat delete and adjustable fuel pressure regulator (all PO done) as engine mods on my car. My choice is the MAP kit from Guru Racing, the newest one coming out once they get it tweaked has a boost controller built in...not quite as sophisticated as some of the Apexi's and such, but I don't think Guru would be taking the time to send all these boxes back in for mods to add it if it weren't worth it. Nice thing is with these kits is that since they come with Guru chips you can sell the APE chips (a set just went on Ebay for a final of $163) so that will help offset the cost and let you spend the money elsewhere once you get the kit. Yes, some tuning may be required, but they should be setup quite well for a stock vehicle to start with and can grow with your system if you want a bigger turbo, injectors, whatever. There are several other 951 guys I've seen listed near New Orleans, so you may have some helpful guys willing to turn a wrench with you to install the MAP kit (or MAF kit if you decide to go that route) which will save you some money as well as it's not supposed to be a super difficult install or anything, mainly removing all of the air intake stuff up front in your car and the factory AFM and then hooking up the new goodies. The MAP kit I think is about the best and easiest way to get that power that you're looking for with 15psi boost. Add you a boost gauge and take the rest of the money and keep it back for maintenance!!! I continually find little things to fix/replace on my car....and most people would never see them!

After the MAP kit, before you go turbo you probably also want to add in bigger injectors as well, which will also make the installation of such a kit run your stock injectors less and the Guru chips let you select the injector size, so again, a fairly painless installation.

But read around and look around....and ask lots and lots of questions.....

Good luck and welcome to boost....it's addictive!!!

Cheers!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of good stuff in this thread. In case any newcomers are wondering what some of these acronyms stand for...

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=011829#000000" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=011829#000000</a>
Old 05-14-2003, 06:52 AM
blu951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a modest starting point work on the suspension then get into the engine but for now simple bolt on stuff like a chip upgrade, LBE/Reliaboost or any type of boost controller and wastegate shim/upgrade would be good.
Once you get into MAF/MAP things get more complex.
You'll need more expertise in the set up. Type of injectors, FPR, etc...then of course the types of turbo's you can select.

Boost for life~
Old 05-14-2003, 07:05 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
if you have anything left over try a carbon fiber hood.hehe

Quick Reply: Best Bang for the Buck 951 upgrade.