Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gemballa 951 Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 03:56 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gemballa 951 Upgrades?

Anyone out there run across anything billed as being a "Gemballa 951"? I have one that I am supposed to go look at, and seems like, even without the upgrades, it's worth it, but I have been searching and searching online, through the archives, etc, and can't for the life of me find any records of anything Gemballa ever did for the 944 except for a fascia for 944/924...I'm just curious to know what, if anything, they did to the motor, suspension, etc since the dealer with the car doesn't seem too up on his info, just keeps saying it's got Gemballa upgrades or was a special model (I guess comparable to the Avalanche) built by Gemballa...

Help is appreciated!

Jason
Old 07-06-2002, 06:16 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Gemballa made some body panels and some cosmetic items for the 944 but not any suspension or drive line mods for the 944/951 that I know of.
Old 07-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Stephen
Instructor

Jason,

Please let me know what the "Kit" consist of, I have Gemballa's(wheels) on my 951 and would like to source some additional Gemballa parts to go on it as well. Thanks.

Stephen
Old 07-07-2002, 11:34 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gembala also made supensions etc but not engine mods for the 951

Konstantin
Old 07-09-2002, 10:08 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Appreciate the feedback, I still haven't had time to get over and see the car...it's another dealership that I do some business with, but right now I have a car on the arm from them that is creating a bit of an uncomfortable situation, so I'm sort of forced to dodge them until we get things worked out on their other car...when I do finally get to see it, I will post what it seems to have as far as 'upgrades' from Gemballa

Jason
Old 07-10-2002, 12:16 AM
951carter
Racer

I, for one, would be interested in some details, as i don't remember any offerings from Gemballa.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:37 PM
TurboMan
Intermediate

My father has an Gemballa-tuned 944, but it's an NA though. Model year is 86 and the package consists of following:

-Gemballa fiberglass front, rear and side skirts.

-Custom tailored full-leather electrical Recaro-sport seats (nothing like the Porsche OEM) colored to fit the car (black & guards in this case), also includes a matching custom backseat.

-Red gauge-faces (again to match the exterior) that don't have cut-outs for warning lights (they illuminate straight through).

-Custom mufflers on exhaust (a very deep rumbling sound, actually sounds beefier than my 951!).

-A very nice & stiff suspension setup (sorry, haven't had the chance to measure the setup yet.)
that makes my 951's stock suspension seem like jello. The chassis is lowered about 1,5 inches with shorter springs and reindexed (stiffer) torsion bar.

The optimal (Gemballa-recommended) wheel setup
for this car is now 205/55 front and 245/45 back!

-Some Ronal (don't remember which model) 16" alloys with center painted to match the car.

Other than that, the car is bone stock
Old 07-10-2002, 07:08 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Turboman,

i have seen your dads car several times. Was it on sale at Universal Automobiles several years ago ?? Body is quite "wild" as early Gemballa buildups used to be ! Into my knowledge it's the only one in Finland.

Olli
Old 07-10-2002, 11:39 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Turboman, that's the best news I've had in a while, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this car actually has some positive upgrades! Thanks (btw - I'd love to see some pics of your N/A car!)

Jason
Old 07-11-2002, 04:55 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out this 924 with modified Gemballa front & rear:
<a href="http://www.alexroy.net/924home.html" target="_blank">http://www.alexroy.net/924home.html</a>

Olli
Old 07-11-2002, 05:43 AM
TurboMan
Intermediate

Olli - don't know if it's been sold by Universal auto, as he bought it last summer from a private individual. It is very likely though as the car's registration slip indicates 12 (!!!) previous owners. Checking with the finnish vehicle administration (AKE), about half of those owners have been various shops.

Nah, I don't actually think the body kit is too wild. It's actually quite good and really makes the car stand out from the rest (and before anyone gets any ideas: no, it's not one bit rice)

Never seen another like this on the road so far...

JasonECW - If the car has really been modified by Gemballa (ie. not some kid slapping odd bits 'n pieces in it) look only for positive mods. The people there know what they're doing and make far less compromises than Porsche in their setups (a 500+ hp twin turbo boxster with 19" rims anyone?)

As for the bodykit, the front and side skirts are the same as in the link given by Olli, but the rear bit is a little different (better IMHO). I believe the rear piece is installed in a pic posted in the 924/944/951/968 forum under thread "Crazy Europeans". It's the tenth pic in the thread (red 944 with red tail lights), although I think it looks stupid just by itself (The bodykit introduces new lines to the exterior that the rear piece follows).

I could take pics of my dad's car later this evening (that would be early morning in the states), but I have no idea as how to post them here.

PS. The car is getting a new clutch and a brand new paint job next month!
Old 07-12-2002, 09:33 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Well, at long last I've had a chance to see the car...WOW, no excuses! Only issues I have at this point is that it's an '87 with no LSD listed in factory options. Other than that, here are the list of mods...
Gemballa full body kit, fascia, side skirts, rear skirt, and headlight upgrade (not quite like strosek, but a single HID look very similar to strosek style, just more squared off)
RUF exhaust, wheels, and obviously some engine mods, but unfortunately I have no list of the RUF upgrades other than what I can see, so I'm a bit at a loss...anybody hear of RUF going nuts on a 951? The exhaust and wheels are obvious (and nice, chrome) and the underhood mods are cosmetic that I can see, but does have open air element, and seemingly much more...but I'm curious to see if RUF would have upgraded the diff/trans unit to give it LSD...anybody with input on this idea? Anybody have a nice shopping list of a full RUF upgraded 951, as this car certainly seems to have been done up to the 9s
Also has full conversion to digital dash (ick), and dual airbags...I assume this was normal for '87, but seems odd imho

Input fellas?

Appreciate any more help, details, other experiences with comparable stuff?

Jason
Old 07-12-2002, 09:38 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

BTW - for everyone's info...

The body kit was VERY different from those on the 924 pictured above...hard to describe, but was more of an exaggeration of the normal look...nothing too standout (except for the lights obviously), the fascia hangs lower, but not too funky, side skirts are probably the most aggressive looking part of the kit, and rear has a bit more flare than the stock, but nothing too exaggerated. I put in a bid (asking was $35k, told him he was on crack) so if I get it, I'll post some pics, and probably take it straight to a dyno after I have it inspected to make sure everything is good (but it has been sitting a while, with no leaks )

Jason
Old 07-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

That sounds like a car that was listed on ebay about a year ago. Here are a couple of links about it, unfortunately there are no pictures.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000685" target="_blank">Topic: Comments anyone, on "Unique 944 Turbo"</a>

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000804" target="_blank">Topic: Don't know whether to laugh or cry... </a>

<a href="http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=4fc2ea8ab927934b7b2e737301a1a489&threadid=13611&highlig ht=gemballa" target="_blank">Pelican: Gemballa 944?</a>

Did you like the pink & purple engine compartment?
Old 07-12-2002, 11:55 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

It's really funny you recalled that...it HAS to be the same car, after reading those threads, it has the blue piping and cream interior, the mildly tacky looking wood trim, full blue dash, the chrome wheels, the strosek headlights, etc...but the funny part is, the underhood isn't pink and purple...just red covers and chrome...maybe the light showed wierd or something in the photos, since the chrome might have reflected the blue hood or something, but it was red and chrome under the hood, but other than that, it was a pretty nice car...any chance you remember any details posted for upgrades or anything, claimed HP, or the dealer? I know I'm asking a lot, just want to see if it's the same dealer offering it...

Jason

Quick Reply: Gemballa 951 Upgrades?