Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 gt racing le mans spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 09:55 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paul, how hard was it to put on the front splitter? It's a very nice touch.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:54 PM
951carter
Racer

oops, i screwed up! i thought we were talking about the splitter! i have no personal experience with the rear spoiler!
Old 07-10-2002, 11:39 AM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

The LeMans deck comes in Fiberglass white and will require filler, sanding, and primer/paint. It looks good on any car whether track or street. The front splitter is easy to install with some screws. It is also fiberglass. For track use I prefer the AIR splitter as it has more downforce. However, the AIR splitter will require more fitting.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:53 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

thanks guys, I think i'll go for it. It may require some work, but the finished product is well worth it. Someone told me that you need some aftermarket rear glass? is that true? they said the stock glass cannot take that much downforce and will explode. I doubt it...
Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not true as far as I have seen on the glass. We have a car that runs with stock glass for Class E PCA Club Racing wth the deck. Even crashed hard in the rear end a month ago and did not break the glass.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:12 PM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

figured it wasn't true. 951racer, do you have a widebody on your car? if so, How much did it cost? was there a lot of labor involved?
Old 07-10-2002, 06:22 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I widebodied the front because I was "presented" with the opportunity. (ie. I crashed) Anyways, it gave me additional weight savings. I would not say the front was difficult but it was time consuming fitting all the parts. I used a fair amount of filler to get the pieces to line up perfectly.

The rear is a different story. There a few diffent ways to achieve fender clearance and the best way depends on what you are looking for. Some easy and some crude, but most on the more difficult side:
1. Easy - GT Racing 968 fender flares. Just bolt, screw, or rivot. Your decision if you want to cut the existing fenders to allow for more wheel clearance. Not the most visibly pleasing option.
2. Harder - GT Racing 951 fender flares. There are a variety of ways to secure these. Seemless, Dzus fasteners, rivots. Also you need to decide how you want to handle the existing fenders. You can cut them off completely, leave a 1-2" lip, or just trim them back for clearance. Remember that the outer/inner fender is also a structural piece for the vehicle rigidity. If you plan to remove the steel inner and outer fenders, I would suggest that your cage extend to rear with crossovers if this is a track car. Might not be so important for a street car. The easiest way is to simply trim up the outer wheel well to the point where it meets the inner wheel and put the fiberglass over the rest. You need some good body work skills if you want this seemless.
3. Hardest - A really good body shop can flare the fenders by pushing out the steel. I have only seen this done on one car and it was very costly. The reason this was done is because he did not want to loose the structural rigidity but needed to fit wider tires.

So, it comes down to what you need the flares for. Nothing beats the looks of a wide body 951 when the rear is a seemless flare. For the tires to fillout the wells you need to be running 315's though. I am currently running 17x275's on front and there is a good 2" of clearance to the outside because I run the same wheel on all four corners. The way my car is setup right now, you could run the same wheel/tire setup on a stock 951 with rolled fenders. In fact you could get 17x305 on the rear. This would probably achieve a great steet look also.

Btw, I saw a car that was flared by some guy out in Long Island that looked really good. It was a track car so he Dzus fastened the fenders, but again, it was sweet looking.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:23 AM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Or to go really wide you go wide body rear quarters and 968 flairs like this:

Old 07-18-2002, 02:46 PM
Jax951
Racer

Derrek, isn't that a 928s4 rear bumper? Do you have any pics of the finished "frankenstein" 944?

Quick Reply: 951 gt racing le mans spoiler