Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Tom D's 993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Suggestions

Each year I try to do simple and logical upgrades to my car used primarily on the track.
Since the sunroof motor and wiring had been removed prior to purchase, I decided to replace the panel with a fiberglass one and save about 20 pounds. Does anyone have thoughts on how to mount it. All of the hinges have been removed. Someone said they siliconed theirs in place, but......
Secondly, I'd like to relocate the AFM so that a K&N filter can be placed in the same location as a MAF unit, away from engine heat. Kokeln's kit is a bit pricey. I remember someone posted a conversion he did himself, but I can't find it in the archives. Does anyone remember seeing it? I might also consider a used MAF if someone is selling theirs, but I'm concerned about reliability. It seems two people I know are always fiddling with theirs. Is that typical? Nothing worse than losing track time because of niggling problems.
My third project is coming along nicely. To open up the engine bay a little and modernize the front end a bit, I've removed the pop up headlights-almost 20 pounds-and created a fixed DOT legal dual headlight setup that should be the next best thing to HID's. I've tried the 924GTR kit, but it doesn't fit the 951 well. I should be finished in the next week if anyone's interested.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to bolt it down, the vacuum from the air-flow over the top will eventually rip it off. If you're talking about a 951 sunroof, then the stock fiberglass one weighs 16lbs.

If your aftermarket fibreglass one is just a flat panel, you need to add some foam or some kind of spacer around the edges to raise it up to the same level as the roof. Then drill some holes at the edge as close to the sunroof hole in the car as possible. Drop a bolt through the hole, insert 1" long metal plate underneath so it overlaps the body of the car and tighten down a nut. You might want to have a spacer in there to keep the plate flat.

"I'd like to relocate the AFM so that a K&N filter can be placed in the same location as a MAF unit, away from engine heat."

That will make no difference in performance. Above 10-15mph, the air sucked in will be the same as outside ambient temperatures. HR Stg.1 MAF users have noticed that in stop & go traffic, the sudden turbulence caused by the 2nd radiator fan coming on results in some hick-ups and stumbles. If you have a MAF, it may be best to place it behind the headlight to increase the drivability, but there won't be a performance increase at speed. With a stock AFM, either way is the same.

Quick Reply: Suggestions