Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finding info on a wrecked Turbo S...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003 | 04:06 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alan, I would like to hear the story, glad you are able to talk about it..that was a big time hit to do that much damage.
Old 05-11-2003 | 09:46 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

alan t

If this was (is) your car, and you're posting to this thread, then I hope it's safe to say that you weren't in the car when it was wrecked (I hope)......

So tell the story......
Old 05-11-2003 | 09:49 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You caught my attention go ahead tell the story.
Old 05-11-2003 | 11:16 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

I'm curious what happened to the car.
Old 05-12-2003 | 12:10 AM
alan t
Instructor

OK, here we go. First off, everybody walked away and there werent any "serious" injuries. Unfortunately not only was i in the car, but there was a passenger. It happend late sat. night on march 15th in college park, MD. I was coming out of a small lot onto rt. 1. Still in first gear, i let the rpm get up to about 3-3500 and let it stay there for about 2 seconds or so. That's when i gave it a little(a lot) more as. The car's tail suddenly came out from behind me to the left just as 1st gear redlined. I overcompensated in turning back the steering wheel. The car's rear end gripped and jolted back the other way. It continued fishtailing until it slammed into and over the sidewalk on the other side of the street, where we apparently also hit a telephone post dead on. We came to a stop perpendicular to the street, and on the oncoming traffic's right lane(rt. 1 has two lanes going each way). We were there for no more than a second when a pt cruiser hit the passenger side. I would estimate it was going about 45-50mph, but ofcourse i cant say for sure. I had the sunroof up, and the impact took it right off. It landed several yards away. Both airbags came out upon the intial impact with the sidewalk. Apparently the roll bar took some of the impact away from the passenger, but as you can see there was obviously still a lot of damage. After later going back and examining the scene, we found a large pothole connected to a large drain exactly where i first lost control. I never jerked the wheel, and was going in a straight line. The pothole was on the right and i suppose that would explain why the car first went off to the left(the rear left tire gripping more than the rear right). It's the only logical explanation i can come up with.
I could afford only liability insurance, so the car(along with my life savings) was a complete loss. It was the Porsche i had wanted for just about forever, and my '83 Camry just wasn't cutting it. I'm a 20year old college student, and as you could imagine i dont exactly light my fireplace with dollar bills. Oh, and if anybody feels like lecturing, dont bother.There isnt anything i havent already heard or told to myself. On that note, does anybody want to donate a porsche?
Old 05-12-2003 | 01:45 AM
user 8430
Banned

alan , I am sorry to hear your story...I feel terrible, and can only imagine how you feel. At least you walked away, too bad there was no insurance......

How much did you get for the wreck?
Old 05-12-2003 | 08:59 AM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Unhappy

sorry to hear about that.
Sad story.
Old 05-12-2003 | 11:16 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing, Alan.

To answer everyone's questions, most of the drive train parts are spoken for. So are the interior and left front fender.

We might be able to be talked out of the brakes...

The passenger side control arm did not survive.

It's our intention to disassemble the car completely and try to sell it all. However, because I'm remodeling the kitchen for the wife, we won't start taking it apart for a month or so.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 05-12-2003 | 11:21 AM
krickmann
Instructor

Van,
I'm looking for black carpeting, but only if it's in really good condition.

Quick Reply: Finding info on a wrecked Turbo S...