Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Autothority Chips

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autothority Chips

Do these chips require a 3 bar FPR? They are the Stage 2 chips with banjo bolt.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:48 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MINE do not, however I know that there were a few versions. Were they already on your car when you got it?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*cough* A-tune *cough cough*
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so but I do have the install instructions somewhere from the early 90s... or was it late 80s

PM me if anything and I'll have a look around the dead pile for them
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Do these chips require a 3 bar FPR? They are the Stage 2 chips with banjo bolt.
Most of the Authority chips with the included banjo bolt did usually come with a 3bar FPR. Once these were installed, and you installed a boost guage, we would see between 15 and 19psi of boost on different cars. My particular car was spiking to 18psi, then dropping back to one bar by redline. They called them one bar banjo bolts, but know that was just an estimate.

The banjo bost restrictor only fooled the computer, and was not very accurate. This is probably why you will be running fairly rich using these chips, as Autothority probably realized there was this difference in boost between each setup.

I would not use these chips without upgrading your FPR, especially if you don't have at least a reliable boost guage. A decent wideband can be had for a few bucks.

If you are using stock injectors, I would have them cleaned and make sure they are working well. We've blown many HG's using these chips back in the day not knowing what was truly happening. We'd see our factory boost guage hit 2 and stay pinned. Fun, but not when you have the "dreaded" oil in your coolant.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Most of the Authority chips with the included banjo bolt did usually come with a 3bar FPR. Once these were installed, and you installed a boost guage, we would see between 15 and 19psi of boost on different cars. My particular car was spiking to 18psi, then dropping back to one bar by redline. They called them one bar banjo bolts, but know that was just an estimate.

The banjo bost restrictor only fooled the computer, and was not very accurate. This is probably why you will be running fairly rich using these chips, as Autothority probably realized there was this difference in boost between each setup.

I would not use these chips without upgrading your FPR, especially if you don't have at least a reliable boost guage. A decent wideband can be had for a few bucks.

If you are using stock injectors, I would have them cleaned and make sure they are working well. We've blown many HG's using these chips back in the day not knowing what was truly happening. We'd see our factory boost guage hit 2 and stay pinned. Fun, but not when you have the "dreaded" oil in your coolant.
+1,you've been warned! They are old tech but compare the cost of a headgasket repair with these chips vs the cost of the A-tune ie the right way!

I know how it is when you have a bunch of diffrent stuff just laying around, I had to talk to my cars PO to keep myself from installing a Huntly MAF and Arc One combo, same deal! Yeah it works but you can do better!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 AM
George D
Drifting

It was called the ARC II, and trust me, it worked. It was made by Split Second. http://www.splitsec.com/
The biggest reason the Authority chips blew head gaskets is because most of us didn't have accurate boost guages, and didn't even consider AF meters 18 years ago. We were turning up the boost with different sized carb jets using high octane gas. Well, that's what I was doing. I only blew one gasket, and that was racing my friends 1996 Viper. I did pull from him, but I knew exactly when the detonation blew out the fiber gasket.

Once this happened, by car still ran, but not well. Next came a K27/6 and my head was rebuilt, ported, and on the dyno we gained another 60 whp and tq using the same fuel system. Nothing changed but the head and turbo. Car was a blast. This setup lasted another 80K miles with just routine maintenance and one new clutch. I did replace the Autothority chips with LR (Russell's) chips, and the car ran better.

Modern fuel management is worth the money if you can afford the upgrades. If not, have as much fun as I did using what worked as well then as it does today.

The Authority MAF's with their chips, 3 bar FPR, and a downpipe made the 951 one of the fastest cars back in the early 1990's. With the S cars, we were seeing 275whp with the stock turbo at 18 psi. LR has a S car that hit 300whp using modern chips, downpipe, rising rate FPR, etc. That car must be a blast to drive.

Using old school stuff will work, but I do agree, modern tuning is key to making HP fun and reliable. I've learned the hard way, and maybe that's the best lesson.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:05 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Stock headgasket blew for me with autothority chips. Although i'm not sure if the chips caused them or the car sitting unused in the garage for 7 years. APE actually tried several methods to control boost. I have a jetted CV in the garage somewhere. Then they switched to the banjo bolts.

In any case. I switched to a Tial 38mm + MBC @ 16 psi. AFR's are a little off. rich at idle and mid-rpm, leaning out to 12-12.5 up top. Going to try out rogue's thing when I install my new turbo
Old 05-17-2011, 11:43 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was called the ARC II, and trust me, it worked. It was made by Split Second. http://www.splitsec.com/
The biggest reason the Authority chips blew head gaskets is because most of us didn't have accurate boost guages, and didn't even consider AF meters 18 years ago. We were turning up the boost with different sized carb jets using high octane gas. Well, that's what I was doing. I only blew one gasket, and that was racing my friends 1996 Viper. I did pull from him, but I knew exactly when the detonation blew out the fiber gasket.

Once this happened, by car still ran, but not well. Next came a K27/6 and my head was rebuilt, ported, and on the dyno we gained another 60 whp and tq using the same fuel system. Nothing changed but the head and turbo. Car was a blast. This setup lasted another 80K miles with just routine maintenance and one new clutch. I did replace the Autothority chips with LR (Russell's) chips, and the car ran better.

Modern fuel management is worth the money if you can afford the upgrades. If not, have as much fun as I did using what worked as well then as it does today.

The Authority MAF's with their chips, 3 bar FPR, and a downpipe made the 951 one of the fastest cars back in the early 1990's. With the S cars, we were seeing 275whp with the stock turbo at 18 psi. LR has a S car that hit 300whp using modern chips, downpipe, rising rate FPR, etc. That car must be a blast to drive.

Using old school stuff will work, but I do agree, modern tuning is key to making HP fun and reliable. I've learned the hard way, and maybe that's the best lesson.
+1 yep back in the day! My car has gone through the various Huntley, "ARC II"', Autothority, stage. The Arc II, struck me as a kind of electronic carb. I understood you had to tweak it to get it to run well in colder climates? That whole IAT thing I believe. I was not aware they were still around (Split Second).
And to the OP, I'm not implying that installing the Autothority chip will turn your car into a smoking pile of crap! Just saying that if you use those chips and add a WB, your gonna see that your running a little rich here a little lean there, so now you add a piggy back to fix it... and there you go! Your on the mod path but your using old chips and things have changed

I.'d say keep an eye out on Rouge's gear, resist the temptation to change stuff now just because you have the parts laying around and enjoy the car as it is!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

If you have the chips run 'em...I bought a set on eBay last year for $80 and I'm happy with them for now. They're cheap enough that I can get my money back when I upgrade to better pieces...

The worst part about running them is blowing half of my vacuum lines off...zip ties FTW. I'll be replacing all of them when I do my top end rebuild this spring/summer.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I got the chips a while back. Never installed them. They came with instructions and the banjo bolt. I have a 3 bar FPR as well. I have a Boost gauge just haven't installed it yet. Was waiting til I wanted to put the chips in. Might have to get a different chip.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
George D
Drifting

Install them and have some fun. When you change out the chips for newer ones, you'll have something to compare.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

They did run rich under boost. I would say that at under 16 lbs, they should work fine.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I currently have Autothority Stage 2 chips in my 951 and they are good.. I felt a huge improvement over the stock boost and made the car a lot more fun to drive... If you have them already I say go ahead and use them. The 15psi is totally worth it and gives the car more life. You can always upgrade later or you may install them and say heck they're good enough.

Mine uses the stock 2.5 bar FPR.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM
944CS
Drifting

I think we need to be careful here, Autothority has a bad reputation on rennlist because there is so much misinformation that people put the wrong regulator in and wonder why their car runs so rich.

Right now in front of me I have Stage II installation instructions (hell I even have the sales receipt). For the non S turbo's you use the stock FPR.

Quick Reply: Autothority Chips