Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

E85 for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:23 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
The usage of E85 allows a much wider range of AFR than does petrol. While "Stoich" for Ethanol is an actual 9.6 or 9.7 (or 14.7 on a petrol scale) when its E85, its important to understand that number is not going to be what is best for power.

In fact, unlike petrol, ethanol, when made richer, continues to add torque ALL THE WAY down to 6.75.

It IS a different fuel, and it does need to be treated differently.

What the OP is suggesting is technically true, as you need to start thinking in Lambda so there is no problems with "scales" and such. If you can practice divergent thinking, then, fine, but it can help some.

The turbo people in this forum can REALLY benefit. Since the volume and therefore mass of fuel is higher in the combustion process, ethanol has the possibility of spooling the turbos faster and earlier.

I believe more tuning and better tuning needs to be done because of this wider spectrum of possible AFR ratios in a normal car. Cruising can be tuned past stoich for better gas mileage on the lower-btu ethanol, and at part throttle increasing cruise, you can add more duty cycle to assist acceleration without so much throttle input. At BARN burning WOT, you would want to go full past rich to add that additional amount of torque.

The issues that arise when ethanol (or methanol) is burnt is that the amount of mass in the combustion process is past the task of many stock OEM ignition systems. Remember, that at the "nth degree" or in the extreme, methanol needs essentially a mig welder in the combustion chamber to ignite the mixture. So to a lesser degree, one must be aware of the amount of mass inside the combustion chamber that must be ignited for proper combustion and power.

That's the thing though, you don't need to change any way of thinking.

Your wideband has no idea how much fuel is actually going into your engine. All it knows is stoich mixture is 1 lamda. So, when you see 14.7 on your wideband gauge, its actually showing you the stoich mixture of whatever fuel you are using.

If you want to tune your e85 to be perfectly stoichiometric, you tune to 14.7 on your wideband gauge. The actual amount of fuel/air mixture going into your engine will be 9.7:1....which is 1 lamda, which your wideband shows to be 14.7.....

So, in essence, you really don't tune it any differently than you tune gas. Cruise at 14.7, and boost at 11.5 (very rough example to show a point), so your thinking doesn't need to change. Don't make it harder than it actually is.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And to add to that ^^^^^ a tighter spark plug gap goes a long way. Also, there is no need to run a "hotter" spark plug. which is misleading because it is trying to run colder.... So if you have a higher heat range plug in your engine and are running Ethanol, drop back down a range or two If you are having ignition problems.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

What plugs are you using? I pulled my plugs out yesterday and they were very clean and I haven't run that much with E85. It also burns with a different smell, much easier to handle then a rich gas smell.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:55 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it is much easier to tolerate than petro, especially when rich. When it is tuned lean it starts to smell very dry similiar to methanol. In normal conditions it is pretty sweet smelling.

Another thing to think about while on the subject of using lambda vs petro scaling is IMO the petro scaling adds a bit of visual resolution for tuning while driving. You are not just looking for 7.something or 8.something. You are looking for 11. something up to 17.something. Much easier to distinguish IMO while driving.

I run NGK br7es plugs myself.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:14 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the smell of burning alcohol.... It used to be my favorite part of going to the drag races when I was a kid.

Except for the smell of nitromethane. That is a smell I could get hooked on
Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95ONE
And to add to that ^^^^^ a tighter spark plug gap goes a long way. Also, there is no need to run a "hotter" spark plug. which is misleading because it is trying to run colder.... So if you have a higher heat range plug in your engine and are running Ethanol, drop back down a range or two If you are having ignition problems.
Actually, it would be the other way around.
A higher heat range plug takes less voltage to jump the gap (or can fire easier in more pressure/mass of air and fuel).
Therefore, since a colder, and higher octane charge is good insurance against detonation, one should use a hotter plug with e85 (to insure against misfires).
Old 05-15-2011, 03:52 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
BTW: You also need need about a 30% increase in injector flow rate for E85
Since stoich for e85 is in the high 9's - 10ish vs 14.7 for gas; wouldn't you need about 50% more fuel flow?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Since stoich for e85 is in the high 9's - 10ish vs 14.7 for gas; wouldn't you need about 50% more fuel flow?
Uh Oh!
Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ethonal carries oxygen it it molecule. That is why at AFR is 9/1 vs 15/1 for gas. Look at the BTUs of gas and Ethanol, you will see that Ethanol is 2/3 of gasoline..

Google: Ethanol has only about 2/3 the energy of gasoline

The lower heating value (LHV) of conventional gasoline = 115,500 Btu/gallon
The lower heating value (LHV) of ethanol = 76,000 Btu/gallon

Hence it takes 115.5/76 = 1.52 gallons of Ethanol to replace the energy in one gallon of gasoline. since E85 is a blend, you wind up with injector increase of 25-30% to run E85.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bri Bro; 05-15-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Ethonal carries oxygen it it molecule. That is why at AFR is 9/1 vs 15/1 for gas. Look at the BTUs of gas and Ethanol, you will see that Ethanol is 2/3 of gasoline..

Hence it takes 115.5/76 = 1.52 gallons of Ethanol to replace the energy in one gallon of gasoline. These values can be found here.
OMG!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Hence it takes 115.5/76 = 1.52 gallons of Ethanol to replace the energy in one gallon of gasoline. since E85 is a blend, you wind up with injector increase of 25-30% to run E85.

Let's pick a random # of air ingested into an engine: let's say 30 lbs/min of air.
-divide that by 9.8 for e85 = 3.06 lbs of fuel/min
-divide that by 14.7 for gasoline = 2.04 of fuel/min
(these are both roughly lamda = 1)

To me, it sure looks like you need about 50% more fuel with e85.
(There's a small difference in mass of the two fuels, but that would constitute only a very small volume change of flow through the injectors)

The lower heating value and BTUs/lb are irrelevant.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:28 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Actually, it would be the other way around.
A higher heat range plug takes less voltage to jump the gap (or can fire easier in more pressure/mass of air and fuel).
Therefore, since a colder, and higher octane charge is good insurance against detonation, one should use a hotter plug with e85 (to insure against misfires).
That's an argument that I don't want to ever get into on a forum..

BUT.. it is more efficient Tommy. If used correctly, you can take advantage of higher compression and actually equal the miles per gallon as fuel. Been done and documented by a college, but not sure if its a completely fair study if looked at closely, which I wouldn't want to get into here. Compression ratios close to that of Diesel. Once again, you have to look at more than just one angle of fuel. Too many facets of a fuel molecule to truly know all about it from a few facts. I DO think Brian knows this and is going to surpass my knowledge in quick order.. He's helped me out before on some wiring details. Smart guy. And I, of course, don't profess to know everything about it. I do know that it is much cheaper than race fuel and works fantastically well for that purpose!

Last edited by 95ONE; 05-16-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: E85 for dummies