Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Transmission rattle on deceleration cause?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission rattle on deceleration cause?

The trans in my S2 has always been a little noisy on decel, but it seems to be getting a little worse. On deceleration, there is a fair amount of lash in the drivetrain and the gearbox develops a reasonably loud rattle. Under load, the box is fairly quiet at higher revs, but when labouring between 2000 and 3000rpm it makes the same sound. It makes no difference in what gear it is in. The differential carrier bearings are new (it made the same sound before they were changed), and there is no noticeable wear on the R&P. The box has an LSD.

I have heard that most of these boxes are somewhat noisy, but riding in a friends turbo, his recently rebuilt box (at a cost of $4,500) was incredibly quiet and smooth (no shunting on decel like mine).

What is the likely cause? Could it also be a worn pinion bearing, given there is no whine?

Last edited by Eric_Oz_S2; 05-14-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

It just means the transmission is still attached to the car. I'd start to worry if mine was quiet. Every 944 I've been in or driven has had that noise on light deceleration.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I've had 3 transmissions in my car (with and without LSD) and every one of them made a gear-slop noise on light decel, expecially in 2nd gear. I think that's because the tire noise is lower in 2nd, because the car is just going slower. I asked Keven Gross about it, and he said there are several theories about where the noise comes from, but that he didn't really have a foolproof way to make it go away. He jokingly said to turn up the radio... Having said that, I always wonder if my sound is the same others reports -- since people often call it a "rattle"? Mine sounds more like tractor gears, or a big UPS van -- more of a mechanical friction sound than a "rattle"... Do you by chance have a recording of yours?

At Kevin's suggestion, I switched to Mobil 1 and have to say it did help some. I can still hear it under the right circumstances, but it is less noticeable than before...
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I'll make a recording and post back.

I ave heard they are all noisy, but what surprised me was my friends turbo was absolutely quiet.

Eric
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 AM
elargentino
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
The trans in my S2 has always been a little noisy on decel, but it seems to be getting a little worse. On deceleration, there is a fair amount of lash in the drivetrain and the gearbox develops a reasonably loud rattle. Under load, the box is fairly quiet at higher revs, but when labouring between 2000 and 3000rpm it makes the same sound. It makes no difference in what gear it is in. The differential carrier bearings are new (it made the same sound before they were changed), and there is no noticeable wear on the R&P. The box has an LSD.

I have heard that most of these boxes are somewhat noisy, but riding in a friends turbo, his recently rebuilt box (at a cost of $4,5000) was incredibly quiet and smooth (no shunting on decel like mine).

What is the likely cause? Could it also be a worn pinion bearing, given there is no whine?

Forty five thousand dollars is excessive in anyone's book!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have vibration in the shifter at all? If so check trans mounts.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:36 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same noise...Quiet on accell but on decel it rattles around...Looks like it may be normal...one less thing for me to worry about
Old 05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine has done it a lot louder since I put in a 930 disc a few K miles ago, I attribute it to the fact that the 930 disc has less dampening springs. I run Swepco 201 or 210. The noise is likely the gears rattling on the shafts while unloaded---a lot of the newer Porsches and BMWs that came from the factory with a dual-mass flywheel make the same rattling noise for the same reason at idle, in neutral with clutch engaged after they are upgraded to lighter single mass flywheel.

Quick Reply: Transmission rattle on deceleration cause?