Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:51 PM
ian kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post head gasket replacement

how long does this take and whats the cost for a mechanic to do it?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just quoted $2,800 canadian including reconditioning the head. No sure what that involves, probably a grind and springs, maybe guides too.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:21 AM
R.B.
Instructor

I paid around $400 Cdn for the head, grind and guides, $100 for the gasket and replaced it myself.

-R.B.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:31 AM
ian kam
Racer

R.B. how long did it take you to do the job ?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:55 AM
pikey7
Drifting

The first time you do it will probably take about 2 days. The ninth (Read- "done it") will take about 8 hours
Old 06-27-2003, 02:42 PM
R.B.
Instructor

Sounds about right. The 1st time takes a little bit, but the next time you should be fine. I would give yourself a weekend to do this if you have the basic tools and shop manual. For your first time don't rush it and take your time. If you have questions along the way post to rennlist. There are lots of people of have done this themselves. Personally, I would rate this easier than a clutch job.

Good luck!

-R.B.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Yep. Not that hard...just time consuming. I was quoted $1400 not including a head rebuild. I did it myself and rebuilt the head, coated the exhaust and polished the intake while everything was apart....and still came out way ahead money wise. My knuckles....well...one of them took some damage!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

THAT seems like a lot of money to change a head gasket. give BLASZAK PRECISION MOTORSPORTS A CALL. he only charges 52$ an hour for labor i hear he's pretty good.his shop is in KINSTON.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:05 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Those are Toronto prices I guess.

I've heard Markus is good, but I've been using Jack at G-Tek for years. Plus, I don't have to tow my car to Kingston.

My car developed a front seal leak a year after Jack did the belts and seals, and he replaced the bad seal free of charge. Can't beat that.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:33 AM
AlexE
Pro

Ian where are you planning on taking here in Edmonton??

I have had my cars serviced at pretty much all the shops (even a couple that are long gone).

I only liked one.....and now its no longer around. I have two shops in my MIND that I will never go near. One placed one of the balance shaft rollers backwards the other used vises on a roller (idiots)! The only guy I still trust in town is Theo at Norden he is incredibly sharp..... BUT can be incredibly espensive.....

I have done my own headgaskets, front seals, clutches, tranny swaps ....etc ever since..... but if I ever come on a problem that I can't solve. Norden gets my business............and my first born.

You will easily be charged over $2K if you take it to any of the shops. They will get you with all the other incidentals.... a gasket here and there. They will nickel and dime it to death.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Nine_five_one
Racer

I just had a faulty pulley wich caused my belts to shred. So my that caused my valves to be bent im in the midlle of right now these are my expenses so far...

Belt and pulley Kit (2 belts 4 pulleys)110.00
Head Gasket Kit 110.00
Used turbo Valves (eight) 150.00
Valve guides (eight) 40.00
Rubbers and hoses 50.00
Head recondition with valve job 180.00

I shoped around extensively so Im saving a good amount of money ONE THING I DID LEARN is dont buy direct from a porsche dealership, they will shake you uo good

Im doing the work at home so im saving a lot there. Its my first time so I hope it works out.

im sure your head gasket replacement will be a lot cheaper if you do it at home.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:06 PM
ian kam
Racer

well thanks for everyones imput i may try this myself...right now all is good but if i put new turbo on this winter along with injectors im going to replace the head gasket at the same time. Still may put headers and a performance head on at same time. Why not when its all apart...just have to look into the wallet..we all know this feeling!!! Hey alex in edmonton i do go to norden...also trying a new guy at alberta motor works. Hey rebuilt my injectors in a 24hr period. Really friendly i'll let ya knoe in 2 weeks he puts on my wastegate and new exhaust

Quick Reply: head gasket replacement