Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Idle problem was bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Idle problem was bad head gasket

So I finally know why my car had a bad idle at start up that quickly went away. At first I thought it was a bad spark. Turns out the head gasket was slowly leaking coolant into number 4. That fouled the plug until the engine burned it off.

Questions, is 15 psi too much? Would a copper gasket be a good idea? That's what my mech wants to install.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:21 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copper headgaskets used to require retorquing every so many miles. You might want to talk to Dan at guru racing. He has a fully metal head gasket. I bought one and installed it on my turbo and haven't had any complaints so far. However, I've only covered 3k miles at most.

You could also consider a wide fire ring head gasket. Similar price, with a wider fire ring on the gasket. I would personally steer clear of the copper.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Peckster:
<strong>
Questions, is 15 psi too much? Would a copper gasket be a good idea? That's what my mech wants to install.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It's not the pressure that causes problems, its the lack of fuel that gets you. What chips/fuel managment system are you running?
Old 06-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Autothority chips and an lbe. Which would be the main problem with running lean?

I was hoping for a vacuum leak, not a head job. To look on the bright side, this is a good opportunity to rebuild the head.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:16 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

The Autothority chips run a little lean in the upper rmp's, combine that with low fuel pressure or clogged injectors and that might have caused it. I would reccomend after the head job to get your injectors serviced and upgrade to Guru chips.
Good luck!!!!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the suggestions, injectors were cleaned last year, although I was worrying about mixture. What's the gauge that monitors the mixture? Sources?
Old 06-26-2003, 05:09 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

get GURU chips and/or air fuel guage. or dyno with wideband.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Got the car back and it runs great again. I had to screw the LBE in a few turns to get back to the pressure I was running before, I think the spring might be weakening.

As for running lean, I was concerned I might still be running lean and that that could cause greater problems if I installed a copper gasket.

My mechanic, who really knows 951s, said he wasn't aware of lean run problems with the autothority chips. To make sure, he temporarily installed an exhaust gas analyser from his race car, and found there were no lean problems throughout the rev range, so that's good news. He also said there's no need to retorque a copper gasket.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:58 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No need to retorque copper-headgasket, but you must use the correct sealant when installing.

Quick Reply: Idle problem was bad head gasket