Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Heater control valve removed, now temp gauge won't work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater control valve removed, now temp gauge won't work!

Okay, this one is puzzling me. I had my heater control valve removed last week by a mechanic. It had burst, and my car will be track only, so it made sense to take it out and plug the lines.
Now, when I start the car, the water temperature gauge immediately spikes to maximum.
Pounding on the gauge cluster doesn't do anything - I checked the grounds behind the cluster and they seem fine, plus none of the other instruments are affected.
It sounds like maybe a wire got nicked, but I can't find any diagram or pictures to show the routing of the wire from the sender to the interior.
Just to troubleshoot, I switched out the instrument cluster with a spare one I had, and it read the same, so the gauge isn't the problem.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I know i could take it back to the mechanic, but it would be a p.i.t.a. for me - i would like to avoid that.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you check the wire connection from the send on the front of the head?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Quinlan
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Did you check the wire connection from the send on the front of the head?
I am trying to make sure that I am looking at the right connection - is that connection visible without removing anything (intake, air box, etc.)? I see one listed on Clark's garage, but it appears that is for a n/a (mine is a '86 turbo engine).
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

There are two sensors close to each other on the head, One has a molded connector(DME), the other has terminal lug (gauge). One sensor is for the DME, the other for the gauge. You can get to both, just have to work a little harder to get to the back one. Might have to take off the factory air box if you run it.

Quick Reply: Heater control valve removed, now temp gauge won't work!