Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Considering the HP/TQ numbers you are posting are from a different dyno than the one the guys in Australia are using makes it even more difficult to accurately compare.
I agree with you, it's a matter of preference.. You have spent the time, the $ and the energy to adapt a GT turbo to your car, I'm sure you enjoyed the project and that's what counts.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:05 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Considering the HP/TQ numbers you are posting are from a different dyno than the one the guys in Australia are using makes it even more difficult to accurately compare.
I agree with you, it's a matter of preference.. You have spent the time, the $ and the energy to adapt a GT turbo to your car, I'm sure you enjoyed the project and that's what counts.
Too true..

My dyno was a Dynojet for the record
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Sorry Jet.. This is not what I observed.. these numbers are.... well I don't know what the hell was going on there with 60whp at 3000rpm. Thats just ludicrous. (Maybe stock computer with bad timing down low?)

I had around 110hp at 3K rpms. So.. ... wherever you got your gt30R power numbers vs RPM Does not represent what I have found on my car.
Hi Bruce,
unfortunately your looking at the numbers not the difference between the numbers. as i have said before this dyno is notorious for a low read, great for us guys that race these and have to stay in a certain power to weight class. Not so good for boasting about hp numbers on a forum though.
Comparing your dyno runs to these ones just wont be a good comparison.
Take for example our neighbouring mechanic who has a 04 XR6 turbo ford falcon, he had that dynoed on tillys dyno with a hp of 302whp, he then took it out to a different shop and got a new number of 396whp without doing any mods. both shops use the same dyno manufacturer.
Sean
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

And for the record, I have no idea what type of dyno the guys in Australia use. I do know, they call it the ***** buster (or maybe the HP buster) as it reads low .
To me, dyno charts are good to compare a before/after of the same car, different cars on the same/similar day. Also, it is important the whichever car you are dynoing is running as it's supposed to.

Dyno a car when it's improperly running as in too much fuel or bad igntiion, and it'll make less HP than when it runs with the problem corrected. Dyno a car then cool it down with ice, it'll make more power once the intake is cold. Good for HP claims, but does not emulate real life or track environment.

So, even on the same type of dyno, the figures can be off when comparing unless all parameters are known.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
95ONE
Race Car

yep, dyno's certainly all read different. Even the same type of dynos, but then there are correction factors and the such that people use to throw it even further off.

BUT.. this is all good info for the people who are reading this and think their GT30 is going to be a dog down low.. Not so. It's actually a monster. BUTTTTTTTTTT... to get there is an incredible undertaking, or a ridiculous amount of money.

If I were HALF as mechanically inclined as I am now, I would HIGHLY suggest using your set up John. SOOOOOOOO much easier. and the price is less than half of what I spent doing my OWN set up.. lol.

In the end I suggest 90% of everyone here to just buy a bolt on kit like yours. BUT.. I still don't think the numbers are a good representation of what someone can do with a GT3076 like myself, so I felt like I should chime in my experiences for further examples.

For those that have seen my videos. Keep in mind my car is 1000Lbs LIGHTER than most and would probably spool even faster if it were a heavier (higher load) car. John, I'm not sure on that though.. what do you think?

HERE ARE THE VIDEO CLIPS: so you don't have to just take my word for it. You've probably seen them a hundred times, but for those that haven't.

If you time the boost from a 2500 rpm steady state take off. I don't think you can get to a full second before it boosts hard. 22-23psi. run. I've always said this is a better real world example than dyno numbers. Car weighs 2300lbs plus my 200lb a$$ in this video. From start to shift at volvo, that\s about 20mph to 60mph. (1.7sec to 3.0sec. )then from start to exhaust pop is from 20- 95-100mph. (Shifting 3rd) (1.75sec to 6.9sec. - which coincides with my soft start 1/4 mile runs where I was at 98mph 1/8 mile at 7.x seconds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FmtADCOGXM

This clip is only to wastegate pressure.(12-14psi?) one of those.I had to put it all the way down, otherwise, I just spun the tires. If you look at the hard left before entering the larger section of the track, you truly can't even notice lag at all. It's non existent. listen to the wastegate blow off between the slalom cones at start. only half throttle and quick jabs.. its STILL boosting. The incredible beauty of this turbo isn't just its lack of lag down low, but interim boost eveyrwhere else. I do truly love this turbo (Although I'm testing out the newer stuff soon) And I'd hate to think anyone thought it might be anything less than incredible. - Can't wait to try the new stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHwS...eature=related

Last edited by 95ONE; 06-05-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:38 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food for thought...
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am guessing this is a modern day turbo and spools up quicker than stock but also creates a lot more power.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:35 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a GTX3071R from ATP for my Subaru. Here is a link to the pics next to my Vitesse stage III. http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47/hot-j/ The Vitesse turbo is noticably larger in every way. Compressor wheel, Turbine wheel, housings....... I chose this turbo for daily drivability with good power. Boost is key with this turbo. You need to run 24psi plus to get its full effect, hard to do on a 951.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hot-J
I just purchased a GTX3071R from ATP for my Subaru. Here is a link to the pics next to my Vitesse stage III. http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx47/hot-j/ The Vitesse turbo is noticably larger in every way. Compressor wheel, Turbine wheel, housings....... I chose this turbo for daily drivability with good power. Boost is key with this turbo. You need to run 24psi plus to get its full effect, hard to do on a 951.
Awesome turbos, so quiet!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:27 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you dynoed yours yet? I'd be very interested to see what it makes on the 951. Man I cant wait to get mine on the subaru. Its hotside is getting white lightninged at Swaintec.....going on a 2.7........ I am doing everything I can to get the best spool and 400 whp. Also, the guy at ATP said the Subaru 71R hot housing is equivilant to a #7 kkk if there was one.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:41 AM
95ONE
Race Car

have you dynoed yours yet? I'd be very interested to see what it makes on the 951. Man I cant wait to get mine on the subaru. Its hotside is getting white lightninged at Swaintec.....going on a 2.7........ I am doing everything I can to get the best spool and 400 whp. Also, the guy at ATP said the Subaru 71R hot housing is equivilant to a #7 kkk if there was one.
you should get incredible spool depending on your tuning/boost controller. 400whp is pushing the turbo a little .But do-able. So don't be afraid.

Last edited by 95ONE; 11-05-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not yet, i want to thought

Quick Reply: GTX3071R or GTX3076R - 2.5 Litre?