Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Programmable ECU

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:38 AM
Doc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Programmable ECU

Well, I’m hoping to complete my rebuild during the winter and as such, I’m putting together my parts list for the last few things I still don’t have.

As part of the rebuild, I’m upgrading my turbo, which will of course; require bigger injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and re-mapping my engine management. (Any suggestions on the afore mentioned parts would be helpful. …size injectors etc.)

Unless there has been some new development in the last couple of months, this seems to be the only "right" way to upgrade the turbo. Not to mention I’m replacing the flywheel with a 5lbs. aluminum flywheel and knife-edged/lightened crank. (This should make up for any turbo lag and reduce hp loss in the driveline.)

…Anywho, with all that, I need to get a recommendation on what “kind” of programmable ECU to get. EVERYBODY seems to have their own these days and of course, they want you to buy all their extras to go along with it.

I recall at one time (I believe it was Huntley Racing who sold it) there was a unit on the market that looked “almost” like a stereo with a blue digital graphic display. However I cant seem to find it anymore.

Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:44 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts
I have done quite a bit of research into the pros and cons of various laptop and non-laptop required standalone EFI units, and I have decided to get this:

<a href="http://www.dtafast.co.uk" target="_blank">www.dtafast.co.uk</a>

This is just my opinion, but it seems to have almost everything a motec has, but at a reasonable price, i.e., around 1600 for computer and cable.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:14 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
What? You're car's not fast enough!?

[quote]Originally posted by Doc:
<strong>I recall at one time (I believe it was Huntley Racing who sold it) there was a unit on the market that looked “almost” like a stereo with a blue digital graphic display. However I cant seem to find it anymore.

Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Doc,
I think you're referring to the APEXi DIGITAL SUPER AFC. It's a piggyback like the ARC-2

<a href="http://www.apexi-usa.com/electronics_safc.asp" target="_blank">Apexi web page</a>

I understand some have used it successfully, but IF I had dollars to spend I would go with something standalone. I would want boost control, knock sensing, fuel and ignition control, and data collection. Of course, I don't have that kind of $$ so I'd probably settle for a Link system. Seems like every vendor has discovered that little item..
Old 11-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

I'll echo Alan's stance on the subject: Go with the system that fit's your support needs. If there is a TEC III (or MOTEC) guy nearby and you want/need plenty of guidance with the system then go that direction. If you want a simpler (but less versatile) system and are comfy with using rage2 or myself as resources, then the SDS is totally viable (inexpensive too ). I just picked those systems to illustrate a range of price and support.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the DTA do NOT has a knocking sensing control.
I think the LINK has it.

Konstantin
Old 11-20-2002, 11:56 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used Motec on several race cars and had very good luck.

They are pricey and like anything you do need to know what you are doing. But they quality is great.

Norm
2001 996 TT
Lola Can-Am (Chevrolet All Aluminum 415)
Spice GTP C1 (Cosworth Formula 1 V8 3.5L DFR)
Porsche 935
Old 11-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Kinda hurtin' for horsepower aren't you Norm?
Old 11-20-2002, 01:17 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Russ,

Gotta love power to weight

That along with great handling....

Forgot the shifter kart....

Norm

Norm
2001 996 TT
Birel Motosport 125 Shifter Kart (SwedeTech Honda)
Lola Can-Am (Chevrolet All Aluminum 415)
Spice GTP C1 (Cosworth Formula 1 V8 3.5L DFR)
Porsche 935
Old 11-20-2002, 03:34 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts
On this list you will find resources for:

Electromotive Tec3
SDS
Link
Maybe Motec

They will all work. As was mentioned you NEED support after the sale. You also need to decide on how much expansion might be in your future. If don't think you'll ever need/use wide band capabilities then why pay for it.

I bought a Tec3 and have been very happy with the after sale support from both Electromotive and Chris White.

I almost bought the Link Plus. However, at the time there was no suport in my area or on this board for the Link. That has now changed with Danno.

Go to the various web sites for Electromotive, Link, Motec, SDS, dtafast and Pectel. Do some reading and narrow your list. Call the selected vendors and narrow it down again.

Keep us posted so we can all second guess you ;-)

Alan
Old 11-20-2002, 03:48 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Alan,

Are you going to the PCA party this Sat ?

Would love to talk to you about your turbo racecar...

Norm
Old 11-21-2002, 11:08 PM
Doc
Racer

Thanks Gents, for ALL the input. Could you expand a little on the matter of "expandability" and or "Wide Band"? if at all possible I'd like to keep the cost of install and hardware around $1000 (sorry as much as I'd like, I cant afford Motec) could you give me an idea of price range?

Also...

Does anyone know about the system sold by the Racers Group call "Unichip"?

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts
The LinkPlus and SDS will be the closet to your price point.

Wideband is a term for air/fuel measurement. This type is much better than an OEM O2 sensor. Some of the systems have this as an option, MOTEC, Pectel and Dtafast. Others, Tec3, are supposed to support it. However, the last I looked Tec3 still doesn't have the software sorted out. Good news is that Chris White has beat Electromotive with an up and running wideband along with his plug and play wiring harness for a stock/street car.

Norm, I'll probably be there.

Alan
Old 11-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Doc
Racer

OK... this is quickly becoming a bit more complicatd than I had originaly anticipated.

I know it's a tall order, however I'm going to ask anyway...

How about a coplete package, i.e. which turbo (I'm thinking the t04?? ...ball bearing vs. standard sleave etc.) size injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, ECU and what is needed with it (i.e. O2 sensor ...wiring harness??? etc.)And ANYTHING else.

I'm looking to build a RELIABLE 350rw HP car. (with ability to expand in the future should I choose)

As I've mentioned already, the lightened flywheel and crank which should help reduce rev-up time = quicker spool up = turbo lag due to larger turbo shouldn't be as big a problem. REMEMBER... This is a TRACK ONLY car which will only be driven in 1st gear in the pits.

OH YA... I almost forgot, where to get everything, how much it cost and who in NorCal can tune it.... (wouldn't do me any good if the only guys who can dyno tune the whole mess are in Pheonix or New York.) ...And did I mention RELIABLE!!!! (don't want to do another rebuild!)

Thanks again!
Old 11-23-2002, 12:55 PM
special tool
Banned

Hey Doc - who makes a 5 lb. 951 flywheel?
Old 11-23-2002, 06:42 PM
Doc
Racer

I got it from EBS Racing, it's billet aluminum.

Quick Reply: Programmable ECU