'86 Turbo front wheel hub failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:17 AM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 Turbo front wheel hub failure

Hi Guys,

We were running in Hallett, OK yesterday for the Porsche DE and our front right wheel hub broke.
Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 3424
Size:  125.9 KB

Hopefully, things did not get "catastrophic", everything stayed together. Just a big pop and lots of vibrations and the right brake was grabbing in turns.

I have been searching around if this is a common failure or not. It does not seem to be. Anybody has a take on it?

Does anyone has one or two spare front wheel hubs for an '86 944 turbo laying around for sale?

Or is there a recommended conversion for those as they seem to be a one year only installation?

Thanks for your help.
Name:  IMG_5206.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  53.0 KB
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a fairly common failure..especially in race cars. I'm glad your failure didn't result in anything catastrophic. I had 2 failures & then gave up on the OEM wheel hubs. I've replaced them with the Racers Edge billet hubs - they've been perfect for 3+ years. I highly recommend them.

Rick
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What size tires are you guys running?

I'm not going to argue that it isn't common, but there has to be a common link as to why this happens.... To much camber, wide tires, stiff springs, etc...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 87 and newer hubs are stronger and are a common update for the 86. Lots of post on how to do this update since it changes the wheel offset. The change in offset opens up the door to a large selection of wheels.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can switch to the later style 87+ hubs/spindles without changing the offset which is what I am doing.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good point, I think you loose a little camber adjustment but it can be done.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very common. The later ones, including the M030 hubs are falling apart as well. Years of use on an aluminum hub is going to lead to failure eventually.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick
It is a fairly common failure..especially in race cars. I'm glad your failure didn't result in anything catastrophic. I had 2 failures & then gave up on the OEM wheel hubs. I've replaced them with the Racers Edge billet hubs - they've been perfect for 3+ years. I highly recommend them.

Rick
I've seen those at Racers Edge but they advertise them for 88 turbo and above. Am not sure it works on an '86 turbo. Different spindle, bearings and hub... I will call them tomorrow and check with them.

Originally Posted by m73m95
What size tires are you guys running?

I'm not going to argue that it isn't common, but there has to be a common link as to why this happens.... To much camber, wide tires, stiff springs, etc...
Camber: about 3 degrees in the front
Wide Tires: yes, 225/50-17 on Nardi by Speedlines on slicks
Stiff Springs: you bet... 500lbs

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
The 87 and newer hubs are stronger and are a common update for the 86. Lots of post on how to do this update since it changes the wheel offset. The change in offset opens up the door to a large selection of wheels.
Originally Posted by potent951turbo
You can switch to the later style 87+ hubs/spindles without changing the offset which is what I am doing.

That's the info I needed ! Thanks guys. I will dig for posts on that conversion. This is probably what I need to do. If anybody knows a DIY post on the conversion, I welcome any link but I will search.

Thank you guys for all your help, I appreciate it.

Am just back from Hallett, car is back in the garage. Hopefully, I have a few weeks ahead of me to fix it.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Very common. The later ones, including the M030 hubs are falling apart as well. Years of use on an aluminum hub is going to lead to failure eventually.
Hey Doc Karl, how are you? Remember me, I sent John Adrien over to you for that PPI on a black 993. His car is doing well BTW, and he is enjoying it.

Good to know it is a common failure. That means I have to take actions for a permanent fix or it will happen again. This car has a LOT of grip, so I am sure those hubs are taking a pounding...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingFlyer
I've seen those at Racers Edge but they advertise them for 88 turbo and above. Am not sure it works on an '86 turbo. Different spindle, bearings and hub... I will call them tomorrow and check with them.

Camber: about 3 degrees in the front
Wide Tires: yes, 225/50-17 on Nardi by Speedlines on slicks
Stiff Springs: you bet... 500lbs

That's the info I needed ! Thanks guys. I will dig for posts on that conversion. This is probably what I need to do. If anybody knows a DIY post on the conversion, I welcome any link but I will search.

Thank you guys for all your help, I appreciate it.

Am just back from Hallett, car is back in the garage. Hopefully, I have a few weeks ahead of me to fix it.
It's very simple, unbolt the ball joint end, pop off the tie rod, unbolt the strut, remove caliper, remove 86' spindle/hub assembly and replace with 87'+ spindle/hub assembly. Like mentioned, apparently you lose a bit of camber adjustment but this shouldn't be a problem with camber plates.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by potent951turbo
It's very simple, unbolt the ball joint end, pop off the tie rod, unbolt the strut, remove caliper, remove 86' spindle/hub assembly and replace with 87'+ spindle/hub assembly. Like mentioned, apparently you lose a bit of camber adjustment but this shouldn't be a problem with camber plates.
OK, thank you very much. I have camber plates, so it should work out hopefully.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rick

Rick
That's just what I was going to say. About 4 years ago, there was a big thread about this issue. For the life of me I can't remember who brought it up and started the thread, but there was lots of info.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingFlyer
Hey Doc Karl, how are you? Remember me, I sent John Adrien over to you for that PPI on a black 993. His car is doing well BTW, and he is enjoying it.

Good to know it is a common failure. That means I have to take actions for a permanent fix or it will happen again. This car has a LOT of grip, so I am sure those hubs are taking a pounding...

Hey Benoit! Glad to hear the car is doing great and he is enjoying it! You can't go wrong with a 993
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
RacingFlyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Hey Benoit! Glad to hear the car is doing great and he is enjoying it! You can't go wrong with a 993
I can only agree with this last comment
Picture of my "baby car" at Road Atlanta for Petit Le Mans last year
Name:  993 relook.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  126.5 KB
Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of late Turbo spindles I can sell--$200 plus shipping. Also have new rotors if you need them.

Quick Reply: '86 Turbo front wheel hub failure