Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad DME chip from APE?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 11:33 PM
Dave944t
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Bad DME chip from APE?

For christmas i got APE stage 2 chips for my 87 951. Great install everything went well, except for the fact that the car wouldnt start. To trouble shoot the problem we swithed out the DME chip with the original and it started just like always. we kept the KLR chip in just because we didnt want to take it out again. So we put the APE chip back in just to make sure and, well sure enough it didnt start. so back to the original chip for the DME. Can they just sell a bad chip? I would also like to know if they will be expected to refund this even though it was bought back in june (20% off). Thanks
Old 12-26-2001, 12:04 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Tuff to say if they would return them? However I could see how they could mess up on a chip here and there. All they are doing is just copying the source to a blank and probably got one of the blanks mixed up for a already copied one. Since they probably burn those in such low volumes it could be easy to do. Also did you make sure the little notch on the chip was lined up with notch on the board? As in other words are you sure you had the chip plugged in right? If they don't return it Dave shoot me an email I might be able to help you out. Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:05 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Red face

Tuff to say if they would return them? However I could see how they could mess up on a chip here and there. All they are doing is just copying the source to a blank and probably got one of the blanks mixed up for a already copied one. Since they probably burn those in such low volumes it could be easy to do. Also did you make sure the little notch on the chip was lined up with notch on the board? As in other words are you sure you had the chip plugged in right? If they don't return it Dave shoot me an email I might be able to help you out. Good Luck!
Old 12-26-2001, 12:15 AM
Dave944t
Track Day

yeah i did make sure both chips were facing the right direction and everything, im going to give them a call tomorrow (tryed today but considering it is christmas no answer). Thanks for your reply
Old 12-26-2001, 11:25 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you want a cash refund or replacement chips? If cash refund I believe you only have 30 days for that but if you want replacement chips that is warranted for a year and probably much longer in practice. It costs them about 0 to replace those. So you should be OK on free replacement. I'd have them send a new KLR just to be safe.

Why is it bad? Could have been a bad original burn, you zapped the chip with static or the chip just up and lost some info. I have been told the latter can happen out of the blue although it isn't common.
Old 12-26-2001, 02:06 PM
Dave944t
Track Day

Just to keep you all updated, I called APE and they said that there would be no problem with replacing the chip. We didnt damage the chip in any way (that i am aware of). Before touching and part of the chip or the control unit we touched the case (ground) just to be sure. Must have just been a bad chip. Scary part was that they didnt even seem too concerned, they just said to send it back in and theyll send a new one. Must be a somewhat common (well maybe not) problem. Thanks for all your replys. Dave
Old 12-26-2001, 06:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 984 Likes on 510 Posts
Or it may be that APE chooses to take care of their customer base. I had a similar issue several years ago. Sent back the bad one and got a new one in less than a week. Painless!
Alan

Quick Reply: Bad DME chip from APE?