Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SO AM I TO OLD?

Old 04-13-2002, 07:03 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SO AM I TO OLD?

I keep seeing all of these pro drivers in there early 20's. I'm 20 and I am finishing my second year of collage. I still have no idea what I want to do. This year will be my first time on the track. I plan to do a few DE's as soon as I get my car running. Now it seems to me that most of the drivers today were racing karts befor they could walk. I am willing to do what ever it takes to accomplish what I want. If I should decide that racing is what I want to do, where the hell do I begin? I know that money is a huge factor and that there are many levels of involvment. I don't know what I'm really asking, but since I'm starting at age 20 how far can I go? Is it ever possible for me to get past club racing? Hmmmmm...
Old 04-14-2002, 02:57 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Euro, from someone who's "too old" for a career in racing, (not 20..!)
I thought about it at your age, but life sometimes throws changes at you (you'll find out) that define how you'll live it.

You too old..?

That depends..., already making they're way to F-1, Felipe Massa, and Kimi Raikonen, are both 20-21 years old, but even the wildest dreamer has little chance at F-1.

This what I'd do if I were serious,
Get yourself into some form of carts, or identically prepared car/engine series, where the powerplants are sealed and tamperproof.
This serves two purposes,
a) assures you that everyone's on an even playing field, there will be no excuse, if you don't excel, run near the front, after you are convinced you are at 100% of your ability as a driver.
b) because these type series are regulated heavily concerning tampering, they are more heavily monitored by interested parties who are looking for talent, so if you are impressing, you stand a chance of being spotted and landing some type of paying drive.

This is a hard road, to earn a living in roadracing, heck some F-1 drivers even "buy" their ride....
Moving up the ladder then, Euro, you'll find that you will have to be multi-faceted to compete in upper levels.
A PR man, so to speak, able to sell yourself to companies in the market for exposure.
Bigger racing has bigger budget, and you are letting yourself in for a dose in reality, if you are under the impression that speed is enough.

Do a search on Sasha Massen, current "fast on talent" Porsche "factory driver" and look at his career so far to get an idea on what it takes.

Good luck man...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SO AM I TO OLD?