Correct alignment of OT mark

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct alignment of OT mark

I pulled my flywheel lock today to spin the motor to check for cylinder cracks on 2 & 3, and I forgot to look at my exact OT alignment before-hand. Now when I go to line it back up, should I point the reference indicator at the OT letters (Pic #1 below) or just past the line on the flywheel (Pic #2 below)?

I'm not super concerned because I can always adjust it a tad when I get the cam tower, pulleys, and belts back on... I know that the cam gear timing mark will help with this dilemma too.

If the answer is easy, please post-up. If I should just wait until I'm lining up the cam gear, that's fine too... but I figured I'd ask. I've left at Pic #1 position for now.

Pic #1:

Pic #2:
Old 04-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

What does the second mark look like? When in doubt, plug #1 plug and check that piston is a the top.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
What does the second mark look like? When in doubt, plug #1 plug and check that piston is a the top.
The second mark does the same thing, that's why I'm curious. I can position the second mark slightly off center of the bell housing notch when I install the flywheel lock, but it won't center in the notch with the flywheel lock installed.

As for pulling plug #1 to see TDC, I can clearly see that because the head is off... but the piston doesn't really move noticeably when I turn the crank just one tooth on the flywheel.

If the OT line and the notch on the bottom are both supposed to line up perfectly with the flywheel lock installed, than I must have a slightly "off" flywheel lock because mine won't. It's not a huge deal, I'll just re-check everything and pick the best position once I have the other pulleys re-installed for a final line-up with the cam timing mark. I can always move it a little one way or the other for the best "combination" lineup when I have a cam gear & timing mark for reference too.

Quick Reply: Correct alignment of OT mark